Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by "Jeffrey N. Miller" <mi...@cottonteam.com> on 2005/05/18 23:23:48 UTC

Exim Mail Server

I use Spamassassin with Sendmail and I am thinking about going to Exim.  Does it make a difference to Spamassassin with mimedefang?

Re: Exim Mail Server

Posted by Bill Maidment <bi...@maidment.com.au>.
Jeffrey N. Miller wrote:
> I use Spamassassin with Sendmail and I am thinking about going to Exim.  Does it make a difference to Spamassassin with mimedefang?

I'm about to go the same way. I believe mimedefang only works in
sendmail, but exim will do all the mimedefang things with a small bit of
persuasion.
Cheers
Bill

--
What's the difference between Linux and Windoze?
Linux   - Thousands of programmers are working *WITH*    you.

Re: Exim Mail Server

Posted by Bob Amen <am...@oreilly.com>.
Jeffrey N. Miller wrote:

> I use Spamassassin with Sendmail and I am thinking about going to
> Exim.  Does it make a difference to Spamassassin with mimedefang?

    To add to what Tim Jackson wrote, you could also look at Marc
Merlins sa-exim package as well as his exim configuration file. I use
sa-exim and started with his configuration file. I highly recommend
both. You should also get Phil's Exim book from UIT Cambridge Press.

Cheers,
Bob

--
				Bob Amen
			    O'Reilly Media, Inc.

Re: Exim Mail Server

Posted by Tim Jackson <li...@timj.co.uk>.
On Wed, 18 May 2005 16:23:48 -0500
"Jeffrey N. Miller" <mi...@cottonteam.com> wrote:

> I use Spamassassin with Sendmail and I am thinking about going to
> Exim.  Does it make a difference to Spamassassin with mimedefang?

I'm not fully sure of all the capabilities and implications of
mimedefang, but a few comments that might be helpful:

a) my HOWTO at
http://www.timj.co.uk/linux/Exim-SpamAndVirusScanning.pdf has some
(hopefully) helpful notes about using SpamAssassin with Exim. You can
call SA directly from Exim including (optionally) making decisions about
rejection at SMTP time.

b) Exim has many powerful facilities for rejecting mail including MIME
parsing functions, some of which may be an optional substitute for some
of mimedefang's features, some of which may not. However...

c) in general you can run ANY software (including mimedefang or
SpamAssassin) aganist a message and make decisions based on the
answer. You can use use arbitrary software as a transport filter for
modifying the message. (some of the mimedefang featurelist looks like
"modifying the message" to me, e.g. "add boilerplate text")

d) the exim-users list over at exim-users@exim.org are pretty helpful
at answering any Exim-specific questions :)

Tim