Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/10 14:52:38 UTC

Release versioning

Just a quick question:

0.8.0 was just released and the next planned release is 0.8.1, and the
next major set of updates (coordinator, etc) is targeted at 0.9.0. It
seems like we are using the pattern 0.<major>.<minor> instead of

So what happens if we have a bugfix release for 0.8.0? Would it bump to
0.8.0.1?

A good example would be how to fix
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1174 - the solution probably
involves bumping the version number.

Cheers
-David

Re: Release versioning

Posted by Joe Stein <jo...@stealth.ly>.
I published a new JAR to staging repo to confirm that the issue was
originally just packaging and publishing issue and not code related.

Maven central is immutable so if we pushed 0.8.0 (without changing any
version or code) it would only show up in the apache release repo.

if we change the version we could just vote and publish the 2.8.0 jar and
maybe name the version to be related to fixing that as 0.8.0.1 to me means
there is a bug/defect in the 0.8.0 release from a code perspective and that
is not the case (assuming re-publishing 2.8.0 jar fixes everything) ...
maybe 0.8.0-scala280 or something... (don't lave that but it feels more
meaningful to me)

can someone verify that the new 2.8.0 staging jar is working now?

 Joe Stein
 Founder, Principal Consultant
 Big Data Open Source Security LLC
 http://www.stealth.ly