Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Daniel Martin <dt...@home.com> on 2001/09/07 23:06:57 UTC

Printable versions of the user manual available

I got a bit frustrated not having a dead-tree version of the user
manual around to look at while learning ant, so I rolled my own.  As
I've seen people ask here in the past for such a beast, I thought I'd
share.

It's at http://snowplow.org/martin/jakarta-ant-manual/.

If there's demand, I'd really like for someone with a fast link to
mirror the pdf files at least - snowplow.org is not yet behind its own
bandwidth, and I really don't want to suck up too much of the donated
bandwidth.

Re: Printable versions of the user manual available

Posted by Nico Seessle <ni...@apache.org>.
Posted by Daniel Martin <dt...@home.com>.
"Conor MacNeill" <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au> writes:

> Looks good. There is definitely a demand. I do like the result (although I
> wouldn't use up paper to actually print it). I think the best thing would be
> to put this on the Ant website. What do you think?.

That's my goal, though first I want to iron out a few wrinkles.

> BTW, I have two issues.
>
> It would be better to generate from the 1.4 documentation in the release
> kit, as it has the version number of the release in the documentation.

True.  I may instead just have my perl script replace the @VERSION@
string itself; I don't think that there are any other (intentional -
see bug 3425) differences between what's tagged in the cvs and what's
in the release kit.

> In the PDF, the bookmark titles have Euro currency symbols. Not sure what
> that is caused by.

Yes, that's a much deeper issue with html2ps and the vagueries of
non-ascii character set encodings.  If I come up with a good solution
to it, I'll be improving my copy of html2ps; it stems most immediately
from the fact that the character that is non-breaking-white-space in
the adobe character encoding is apparently the euro sign in recent
versions of the PDFDocEncoding.  This means that I need to adjust the
postscript produced by html2ps a bit, which could get tricky.  If
there were any &nbsp; charaters in the actual titles themselves, they
too would become euro signs.

RE: Printable versions of the user manual available

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Daniel,

> From: Daniel Martin [mailto:dtmartin24@home.com]
>
> I got a bit frustrated not having a dead-tree version of the user
> manual around to look at while learning ant, so I rolled my own.  As
> I've seen people ask here in the past for such a beast, I thought I'd
> share.
>
> It's at http://snowplow.org/martin/jakarta-ant-manual/.
>
> If there's demand,

Looks good. There is definitely a demand. I do like the result (although I
wouldn't use up paper to actually print it). I think the best thing would be
to put this on the Ant website. What do you think?.

BTW, I have two issues.

It would be better to generate from the 1.4 documentation in the release
kit, as it has the version number of the release in the documentation.

In the PDF, the bookmark titles have Euro currency symbols. Not sure what
that is caused by.

Thanks
Conor

AW: Printable versions of the user manual available

Posted by Thomas Christen <ch...@active.ch>.
I tought about the same. Pretty cool !

Regards
Thomas Christen