Posted to builds@apache.org by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org> on 2021/01/12 20:53:10 UTC

Builds Meeting this Thursday

Hi All,

Sorry for the last minute notice, this Thursday the 14th January
at 1700 UTC time will be our next builds@ meeting.

Just confirmed a few minutes ago, there will be a guest
representing Github on the call to talk about and answer
questions around Github Actions.

The remainder of the call are self set topics , so whatever
else you guys want to cover.

We will try Jitsi again, will a fallback url provided.
More details to follow

--

*Gavin McDonald*
Systems Administrator

Re: Builds Meeting this Thursday

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Cool. Looking forward to it!

--
+48 660 796 129

Re: Builds Meeting this Thursday

Posted by Gavin McDonald <gm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 5:12 PM Tobiasz Kędzierski <
tobiasz.kedzierski@polidea.com> wrote:

> Announcement about the meeting showed too late for me and unfortunately I
> can not participate.

Sorry about that. For future reference all builds@ meetings are
scheduled for the 2nd Thursday of every month.

> I hope it will be recorded (at least partially) because I am very
> interested in Github Actions.

I'm afraid not, we won't record any builds@ meeting.
We will of course update the wiki page and this mailing list
with a meeting summary.

> I wanted to bring back the problem with monitoring and getting statistics
> about GitHub Actions [GA] usage within ASF.
>
> Limit for concurrent jobs for ASF is 200, there are more than 200 ASF
> repositories which use GA.
> One project can stuck queue for the whole organisation and there is no
> convenient way to monitor how many workflows and jobs are run within
> organisation repositories.
> I used GH Rest API (there is no graphQL for it) to periodically fetch
> information about GA workflows within ASF repositories (in
> https://github.com/TobKed/fetch-apache-ga-stats/).
> Based on collected data I created a dashboard in DataStudio. Example pics
> from report:
> https://pasteboard.co/JJt9HjD.png
> https://pasteboard.co/JJtahC2.png
>
> Here is old thread about it:
>
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rcf6da2227d41bce72bc999f33cdf7d676ad4ffea051e2daa05d244b8%40%3Cbuilds.apache.org%3E
>
> Question is: Is there any way to efficiently obtain statistics related to
> GitHub Actions?
> I would appreciate asking for it on my behalf.

I'll ensure it gets looked into. If you could edit the meeting wiki page
with the above even better :)

Posted by Tobiasz Kędzierski <to...@polidea.com>.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.
Not sure. But I will ask for it.

--
+48 660 796 129

Re: Builds Meeting this Thursday

Posted by Sumit Maheshwari <su...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tyson Hamilton <ty...@google.com>.
I suspect that Beam would suffer from the same problems that Airflow did,
specifically: "1) we won't be stuck in a queue behind other ASF projects
waiting for our "slot"". This is similar to why Beam migrated to using a
dedicated pool of Jenkins agents.

I'm not following the performance of our GH actions and whether they've
been blocking peoples PRs. They haven't been a problem for me. I believe
the urgency is unknown (but I suspect not high) and the first step would be
to perform an analysis of cost/benefit of: 1) migrating existing GH actions
to our own workers (maybe shared VMs with Jenkins agents), 2) migrating all
of Jenkins to GH actions, which would require having our own GH actions
workers anyways.

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by Aizhamal Nurmamat kyzy <ai...@apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.

Posted by JB Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Ismaël.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for sharing this Pablo, This looks super interesting. We should
see if it could make sense to migrate our Jenkins infra to GitHub
Actions given that it is free and quickly becoming the new 'standard',
Good points it is 'free' because we will bring our machines and Google
pays :) bad points we will become 100% github dependant.

Related: In Avro we moved to github actions recently but we preserve a
docker based build workflow as a backup, but the Avro build is really
simple compared to Beam's.

Tobias it seems you did not copy builds@ or gavin in your answer (save
if it is in BCC)

Are there any interesting news after the meeting?

Posted by Tobiasz Kędzierski <to...@polidea.com>.

--
+48 660 796 129

--