Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM> on 2007/05/07 11:59:09 UTC

Copyright notice in the source file header

Hello,

When reviewing a patch I became unsure if the source file header should
include a copyright notice or not. I see that we have both in our repos.

According to some people I talked with, the copyright notice with dates
(years) should not be included. But, looking at
http://www.apache.org/dev/apply-license.html#new and
http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html#apply, it is clearly
stated that a copyright notice should be included.

Have we decided not to include the copyright notice?
Can anyone clarify this for me?

thanks,
--
Kristian

Re: Copyright notice in the source file header

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Kristian Waagan wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:

>> which files in the repo now have copyrights?
>
> M      java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/ClobAsciiStream.java
> M      java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/LOBOutputStream.java
> M      java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/LOBInputStream.java
> M      java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/ClobUtf8Writer.java
> M      java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/LOBStreamControl.java
> M      java/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/jdbc/ClobStreamControl.java
> java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/storetests/st_derby1939.java

> java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/jdbc4/BlobSetMethodsTest.java

> java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/jdbc4/LobStreamTest.java
>
> Most of these are recent additions (one is from October 2006).
>
> I removed the nine copyright (all Apache) lines in commit 536122.
> I found no copyright lines in 10.2.
>
> Is this okay, or do the people who actually wrote the code have to do it?

It's fine for any Derby committer to correct the Apache header.

We need to be careful with any non-Apache copyrights in contributed
files. Those have to be removed by the "copyright owner (or owner's
agent)" [1].

 -jean

[1] http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html

Re: Copyright notice in the source file header

Posted by Kristian Waagan <Kr...@Sun.COM>.

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Kristian Waagan wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> When reviewing a patch I became unsure if the source file header should
>> include a copyright notice or not. I see that we have both in our repos.

which files in the repo now have copyrights? 10.2 and forward should
adhere to this policy: