Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jonathan Villa <jv...@isdesigndev.com> on 2003/04/18 23:00:43 UTC

[users@httpd] Installation of Apache on Windows ME...

I am trying to help someone install Apache 2.0.43 on Windows ME (trying
to do this via Instant Messenger).

Well, we have walked through the installation many, many, times and
everytime, when http://localhost used in the web browser

The result is an empty page.  There is also no error or access log in
/logs.

Make any sense to anyone or anyone have an idea?

-Jonathan

Re: [users@httpd] Installation of Apache on Windows ME...

Posted by Joseph Loegering <Jo...@kc.rr.com>.
Jonathan
I just found that if "UseCanonicalName" is "On", and after you get a virtual
localhost working on a port other than 80, the main server config can be set
Listen YourIP:80 #and
Listen 127.0.0.1:80 #which will make localhost work on port 80 and your
www.domain also, then your can delete the port 81 virtualhost, but without
"UseCanonicalName On" or with Listen Localhost:80 it will not let it work. I
could not get it to work at all even with Listen 127.0.0.1:80 until I got
the virtual host first working on port 81, then added Listen 127.0.0.1:80
once I got it working. Then I could  delete the virtual host on 81 and
Listen 127.0.0.1:80 still worked. This is the second server I used on ME
where the Localhost either would not work all the time or would not work
right the way it does on Linux.
Joiseph

Re: [users@httpd] Installation of Apache on Windows ME...

Posted by Joseph Loegering <Jo...@kc.rr.com>.

> I am trying to help someone install Apache 2.0.43 on Windows ME (trying
> to do this via Instant Messenger).
>

> Well, we have walked through the installation many, many, times and
> everytime, when http://localhost used in the web browser
>
> The result is an empty page.  There is also no error or access log in
> /logs.

Hi!
I have 2.0.45 setup on Win ME. Localhost will not work on ME unless you set
up a virtual host on a port other than port 80.
Here is an actual guideline that would work. Turn On "UseCanonicalName On"
in httpd.conf. If the person knows their IP address, set the main server
conf to
Listen theirIP:80 #then add
Listen 81
#Then under virtual hosts set one for Localhost (be sure to include an
index.html in the localhost directory)
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.1:81
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:81>
DocumentRoot C:/Apache2/
Servername Localhost
<Directory "C:/Apache2/">

        Options ALL
   AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>

#Then their www. domain

<VirtualHost www.yourdomain.com>
DocumentRoot C:/Apache2/yourdomaindocs
Servername yourdomain.com
<Directory "C:/Apache2/yourdomaindocs">

        Options ALL
   AllowOverride All
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
</VirtualHost>
There are a few other configs that they will need to do for Win ME, because
Win ME does not support flock, and other things, but can all be solved by
adding the right files and right conf.
If you need more my E-mail is Joseph@Loegering.net
Joseph

RE: [users@httpd] Installation of Apache on Windows ME...

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.
Make sure your friend doesn't run any firewalls or McAfee AV.
Jeff Cohen