Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org> on 2004/08/09 16:26:45 UTC

Preparation of board report

Hi all,

Time to prepare a report for the board meeting that will be held on 18th
(next week).

Here are the items I found to be noteworthy since last report in May:

Community:
- Cocoon version 2.1.5 released in May: bugfix release with minor new
features
- Lenya version 1.2 released in June
- no new committer on Cocoon, one new committer on Lenya
- Lenya proposed as a top-level project
- PMC composition change: new chair, some new members and some resignations.

Infrastructure:
- moved to subversion
- cocoondev.org wiki moved to ASF wiki

Ongoing research work :
- Javaflow (implementation of continuations in Java), which triggered
the creation of a group to propose a JSR
- the "Kernel", a container for Cocoon blocks,
- "Butterfly", an experimentation to use Spring as a component container
instead of Avalon

Misc:
- Important new live sites with VNU UK moving to Cocoon (high-traffic
sites which where sucessfully slashdotted)

What else did I missed ?

Sylvain

Re: Preparation of board report

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Ah OK, I was just starting to wonder why there was just one list for
> all of Apache's PMCs ;-).

Sorry for the typo :-/

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.
Il giorno 09/ago/04, alle 18:03, Gianugo Rabellino ha scritto:

> On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:54:05 +0200, Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Il giorno 09/ago/04, alle 16:53, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

>>> notified about you and Tony joining the PMC on june 13th.
>>
>> Who do I send mail to? pmc-subscribe@apache.org doesn't seem to work.
>
> pmc-subscribe@cocoon.apache.org should do the job...

Ah OK, I was just starting to wonder why there was just one list for
all of Apache's PMCs ;-).

	Ugo

--
Ugo Cei - http://beblogging.com/

Re: Preparation of board report

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 17:54:05 +0200, Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org> wrote:
> Il giorno 09/ago/04, alle 16:53, Sylvain Wallez ha scritto:

> > notified about you and Tony joining the PMC on june 13th.
>
> Who do I send mail to? pmc-subscribe@apache.org doesn't seem to work.

pmc-subscribe@cocoon.apache.org should do the job...

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Re: Preparation of board report

Posted by Ugo Cei <ug...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Ugo Cei wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> - Cocoon version 2.1.5 released in May: bugfix release with minor new
>> features
>

> Aren't we at 2.1.5.1?

Oops! Yes, of course!

Posted by Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> - Cocoon version 2.1.5 released in May: bugfix release with minor new
> features

Aren't we at 2.1.5.1?

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Also remember that it is the chair's report to the board, so you
>> don't need agreement from us about what you tell them.
>

> Also remember that chair is chosen by community, and if chair goes
> against community will, he will get replaced by community :-)
>
> So, community should take part in creating report, and chair should
> take leading role (and RFC on report's draft).

Exactly. I am the messenger between Cocoon and the board, and although I
have some good ideas of what has to be said, I want you all to be able
to bring in concerns that I may have missed or badly expressed.

Now about the detailed contents, I know the report's primary purpose is
to notify the board about problems, but I think a short description of
the good things that happened is important also, so that the board
doesn't receive only bad news ;-)

> Keep up great job, Sylvain :-)

Thanks!

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Also remember that it is the chair's report to the board,
>> so you don't need agreement from us about what you tell them.
>
> Also remember that chair is chosen by community, and if chair goes
> against community will, he will get replaced by community :-)

It's not technically true, as the chair is nominated by the board, and
can be replaced only by the board. The vote taken here for a chair is
only for a hint to the board, that could decide otherwise. IIRC the
board has already done so at least in one case.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Preparation of board report

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
David Crossley wrote:

> Also remember that it is the chair's report to the board,
> so you don't need agreement from us about what you tell them.

Also remember that chair is chosen by community, and if chair goes
against community will, he will get replaced by community :-)

So, community should take part in creating report, and chair should take
leading role (and RFC on report's draft).

Keep up great job, Sylvain :-)

Vadim

Re: Preparation of board report

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Time to prepare a report for the board meeting that will be held on 18th
> (next week).
>
> Here are the items I found to be noteworthy since last report in May:
<snip/>

The main thing is whether there are any issues that need
to brought to the attention of the board (community issues,
legal problems, PMC changes, etc.). The technical progress
of the project is less important. Nicola Ken directed me
to this, which helps a bit:
http://incubator.apache.org/guides/chair.html#Making+the+Board+Report