Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Christophe <ch...@skynet.be> on 2002/10/30 21:35:16 UTC

Re: CMS - Struts

> I must say that i agree on the matter that it should be possible to use
> Struts as MVC within Jetspeed instead of velocity,
> there has been an attempt at integrating JSP based templates but they
> are setup in a wrong way.
> I have already addressed this to the Jetspeed-dev mailing list in the
> following message :
> http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg04605.html
> but have seen no reply.
> The reason i favor JSP based templates over velocity is that they are
> easier to teach to a learning Java programmer
> then velocity.
> So i would like to propose to make a first step at reworking the JSP
> templates to use or Struts or the JSTL, if there is enough interest from
> the jetspeed-dev group.

It is possible to learn Velocity in 2 hours. That's not possible with JSP
which are unreadable.
Anyway I understand your point of view. Unfortunatly customers are using
JSP/Struts.
So I'm also interesting for this kind of integration between Jetspeed and
Struts :-((((

Werner, do you have some ideas for that ?
What about accessing Jetspeed services or the Rundata from a Struts action
classes or form ?
I have no idea on the Struts flexibility for this kind of integration.

Christophe

Re: CMS - Struts

Posted by David <dr...@neo.rr.com>.
I too would like to see a Jetspeed/Struts integration

Posted by Christophe <ch...@skynet.be>.

Re: CMS - Struts

Posted by Werner Ramaekers <we...@shiftat.com>.
Christophe wrote:

>>I must say that i agree on the matter that it should be possible to use
>>Struts as MVC within Jetspeed instead of velocity,
>>there has been an attempt at integrating JSP based templates but they
>>are setup in a wrong way.
>>I have already addressed this to the Jetspeed-dev mailing list in the
>>following message :
>>http://www.mail-archive.com/jetspeed-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg04605.html
>>but have seen no reply.
>>The reason i favor JSP based templates over velocity is that they are
>>easier to teach to a learning Java programmer
>>then velocity.
>>So i would like to propose to make a first step at reworking the JSP
>>templates to use or Struts or the JSTL, if there is enough interest from
>>the jetspeed-dev group.
>>

>It is possible to learn Velocity in 2 hours. That's not possible with JSP
>which are unreadable.

if you use the available tag libraries and use your JSP's as the View in
the MVC approach it can be very readable ...
and the i18n you get is very important and easy to manage (as in Velocity)

>Anyway I understand your point of view. Unfortunatly customers are using
>JSP/Struts.
>So I'm also interesting for this kind of integration between Jetspeed and
>Struts :-((((

ok, there is two of us then, .... what about the rest ?

>Werner, do you have some ideas for that ?
>What about accessing Jetspeed services or the Rundata from a Struts action
>classes or form ?
>I have no idea on the Struts flexibility for this kind of integration.

Struts Action and Form classes have access to the HttpServletRequest so
what could be the problem to access the RunData
or Jetspeed Services ? ... i don't see a problem ... could you elaborate
a little on what you think is the problem ?

Werner

ir. Werner Ramaekers
Enterprise Java Solutions Architect - Shift@
Sun Certified Java Programmer - BeJUG steering commitee member

"May the source be with you."

Read my Blog at http://www.werner.be