Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Marco Tedone <mt...@jemos.org> on 2003/05/07 23:18:54 UTC

Mailet subproject

Hi, does it exists a sort of jamesMailet subproject? If yes, could you
please provide coordinates? If not, would you like to open one with me on
SourceForge? This way, we shouldn't follow deadlines or timetables, but
everyone could develop good ideas and then we could submit these ideas to
this list.

WFYI (Waiting For Your Impressions),

Marco

Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Marco Tedone <mt...@jemos.org>.
Thank you Serge, that's is interesting.

Marco

RE: Creating/Adding/Changing User (Password)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> how do I use the cvs? I don't have one?

See: http://www.apache.org/dev/contributors.html

	--- Noel

Re: Creating/Adding/Changing User (Password)

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
On Fri, 9 May 2003 00:01:50 -0400
  "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
>> Where can I download this RMI RemoteManager?
>
>>>From the CVS (see:
>>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html)

Sorry, if this question is stupid but how do I use the
cvs? I don't have one? I click the jakarta-james it goes
to http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-james/ then i
click the src it goes to
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-james/src/.

What should I do? If I do have to install a cvs what cvs I
should download?

Thx

RE: Creating/Adding/Changing User (Password)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Where can I download this RMI RemoteManager?

>From the CVS (see: http://jakarta.apache.org/site/cvsindex.html)

> How to configure?

Read the docs.

> Please give me specific link.

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-james/proposals/rmi-remotemanager/
.  But that isn't particularly useful.  You need to learn to use the CVS.

	--- Noel

Re: Creating/Adding/Changing User (Password)

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
Where can I download this RMI RemoteManager? How to
configure? I went to the download site, but I don't know
which one to download.

Please give me specific link.

Regards,

>In any event, for what you want to do, I repeat my
>suggestion that you
>review the RMI RemoteManager.
>
>	--- Noel

>For additional commands, e-mail:
>james-user-help@jakarta.apache.org

Regards,

Joni

RE: Creating/Adding/Changing User (Password)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > James is made up of components that run in a container
> > architecture, similar to how web apps run inside of a
> > Servlet container.

> Do you mean that I have to create something like mailet
> and configure it in environment.xml?

No.  Mailets aren't configured in environment.xml.  Mailets are in
config.xml.

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
On Thu, 8 May 2003 02:20:49 -0400

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I wonder why every time I run the codes it keeps producing
> error like this :

Your code isn't running within an Avalon container.  Please look at

Posted by joni santoso <st...@plasa.com>.
Hi,

I read some postings on the archive about adding users but
I still couldn't find some snippets.

So I tried coding by myself.

I wonder why every time I run the codes it keeps producing
error like this :

C:\>java test
test
         at
org.apache.james.mailrepository.AvalonMailRepository.list(AvalonMailR
epository.java:385)
         at test.main(test.java:25)

I use win2k advanced server and james 2.1.2.

if anyone can share his/her codes about adding/changing
users, I would be very thankful.

here the codes :

import org.apache.james.*;
import org.apache.mailet.*;
import org.apache.james.userrepository.*;
import org.apache.james.remotemanager.*;
import org.apache.james.mailrepository.*;
import java.util.Iterator;

public class test {
System.out.println("test");
/*try {
RemoteManager rm = new RemoteManager() ;
rm.initialize();
UsersFileRepository ufr = new UsersFileRepository();
Iterator i = ufr.list();
while (i.hasNext()) {
System.out.println(i.next());
}
System.out.println("done");
} catch (Exception e) {
System.out.println("Error : " + e);
}
*/
AvalonMailRepository amr = new AvalonMailRepository();
Iterator i = amr.list();
while (i.hasNext()) {
System.out.println(i.next());
}
System.out.println("done");
}
}

Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Bingo!  Thank you, Marco.  This is what I needed.  This, in my opinion,
would be a better opening page.  The "news" on the actual opening page, for
my tastes, would be better relegated to secondary status.  This is
sufficient to get me going without having to "sell my first born". Micael

At 09:05 PM 5/8/03 +0100, you wrote:
>Micael, I didn't reply before because it seemed to me obvious, but I think
>that came at this point, my contribution could be useful. Please have a look
>from the james home site to james documentation. The last two links explain
>(roughly) what Matchers and Mailets are, their lifecycle and how to deploy
>them on james.
>
>Here follows the link:
>
>http://james.apache.org/documentation_2_1.html
>
>Hope it will help,
>
>Marco

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Serge, thanks, and ......

[...]

technology using CLASSPATH, and similar devices.  I know I have to access a
[...]

the JAMES distribution (see documentation)."  Now I know that a Mailet is a

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Micael wrote:
> What "description" are you referring to?  I would be happy to look at it
> and comment, if you identified it.  Thanks.

Micael,

Read the emails, please.  You replied to my email that was correcting a
typo in the big email with the descriptions I had sent 2 minutes prior.
  Once more, that email just copies and pastes the descriptions on the
home page of the website.

--
Serge Knystautas
President

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Serge,

At 01:20 PM 5/8/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Serge Knystautas wrote:
>>Please let us know how you think this description could be included.
>
>I mean "...could be *improved*."
>
>--
>Serge Knystautas
>President
>Lokitech >> software . strategy . design >> http://www.lokitech.com
>p. 301.656.5501
>e. sergek@lokitech.com

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: [OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Micael wrote:
> I am a newbie to this technology.  What is the difference between a
> Mailet and James?  That is probably not even a sensical question.  Can
> someone offer a basic overview?  One of the difficulties of getting
> started is that experienced people do not remember the basic things they
> learned are not known.  I have looked in James and got too lost to keep
> going.  That is not because I lack intelligence or effort, and not
> because you people are not helpful.  There simply are no good overview
> documents on email stuff that I can find.  It is too bad.  I would like
> to contribute and be involved, but I don't have the time to spend weeks
> on what should take at most hours.  If you can help, it would be
> appreciated.  Thanks,

On the home page we have a description of James and Mailets as follows:

In the "What is it" section, we have this for James:
"The Java Apache Mail Enterprise Server (a.k.a. Apache James) is a 100%
pure Java SMTP and POP3 Mail server and NNTP News server designed to be
a complete and portable enterprise mail engine solution based on
currently available open protocols."

In the "Design Objectives" section, we have this for mailets:
"*Mailet support* - Apache James supports the Apache Mailet API. A
Mailet is a discrete piece of mail-processing logic which is
incorporated into a Mailet-compliant mail-server's processing. This
easy-to-write, easy-to-use pattern allows developers to build powerful
customized mail systems. Examples of the services a Mailet might provide

[OT] Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.

At 10:24 PM 5/7/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Noel J. Bergman wrote:
>>>Hi, does it exists a sort of jamesMailet subproject?
>>I've been trying to promote one.  I've asked that people interested in it
>>please speak up.  The James Project Management Committee is amenable to the
>>creation of a Mailet sub-project.  We want to know that there is sufficient
>>interest.
>
>I think one detractor to this though is that everything in this mailet
>sub-project would have to be ASF licensed as well as address license
>compabilibility with 3rd party libraries.  A listing service would not
>have such restrictions and could promote commercial ones (should some emerge).
>
>>In the meantime, Danny has mailets.org.
>
>Err, mailet.org (not mailets.org).
>

>--
>Serge Knystautas
>President
>Lokitech >> software . strategy . design >> http://www.lokitech.com/
>p. 1.301.656.5501
>e. sergek@lokitech.com

LEGAL NOTICE

you

RE: Mailet subproject

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Hi,
> For non-ASL compatible mailets, mailet.org could
> setup a CVS,

Vincenzo and I would encourage people who want to have open source Mailet projects to create projects on sourceforge.net and have them listed  and promoted @ mailet.org

It is not our intention to host projects or downloads, on account of the cost of bandwidth and hosting, and the maintenance effort required.

d.

RE: Mailet subproject

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
>>> Hi, does it exists a sort of jamesMailet subproject?

>> I've been trying to promote one.  I've asked that people interested in it
>> please speak up.  The James Project Management Committee is amenable to
the
>> creation of a Mailet sub-project.  We want to know that there is
sufficient
>> interest.

> I think one detractor to this though is that everything in this mailet
> sub-project would have to be ASF licensed as well as address license
> compabilibility with 3rd party libraries.

True enough.  For non-ASL compatible mailets, mailet.org could setup a CVS,
or there could be a sister site on Tigris.

	--- Noel

Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

Re: Mailet subproject

Posted by Marco Tedone <mt...@jemos.org>.
I would like simply to write some handful code for james and to share it
with the community, in the optic of the open source software.

Marco

RE: Mailet subproject

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
Marco,

Mailet.org is exactly the place to promote mailets you have written, but you might also want to start a sourceforge project to develop them as Mailet.org is intended to be a listing/review service and (possibly) include helpful articles about mailets, how to write and use them.

Any contributions are welcome from everybody.

d.

Re: Mailet subproject

RE: Mailet subproject

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.