Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2013/07/23 09:45:34 UTC

[DISCUSSION] Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release Candidate 3

Hi,

Any issues or questions about Apache Flex 4.10 RC3 please place in this thread.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

No issue as far as I can see - just tried it on a build/SDK post Apache Flex 4.10.

git sttaus

# On branch release4.10.0
# Changes not staged for commit:
#
#	modified:   flex-sdk-description.xml
#	modified:   frameworks/air-config.xml
#	modified:   frameworks/airmobile-config.xml

git pull

Already up-to-date.

But may be issues I'm unaware of.

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
A while back, we had a talk on it [1] and IIRC, I brought this point to the
list because after a build I had generated files in my working tree and
wasn't able to git pull because my working tree was dirty.

-Fred

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/hzwn5pzp2ivkknmq

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hum, yes, I can see what you mean for the air*-config..xml because they were
existing in the develop branch and were ignored by git but can't see the
point for the flex-sdk-description.xml, can you develop ?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Frédéric THOMAS <we...@hotmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Is there a specific reason why the flex-sdk-decription.xml has been removed
again from the .gitignore, it appears now in the root of this tagged version
and the release4.10.0 branch [1] ?
IIRC, the flex-sdk-decription.xml is generated at build time, so, AFAIK,
there's no need to version it.

I didn't follow in detail since a while so maybe something has changed in
between relative to the flex-sdk-decription.xml.

Thanks,
-Fred

[1]
https://fisheye6.atlassian.com/browse/~br=release4.10.0/flex-sdk/flex-sdk-description.xml?r=c87ad9fd4a72f211df0a963aca7356735b241148

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
>>   G.  Thanks for using Apache Flex.  Enjoy! would be better expressed as:
>> The team that has produced
>> this release hopes you will enjoy using it for your application
>> requirements.
> I quite like what there - any other opinions on this?

Yes, leave it there. It brings a light touch at the end of a very
technical and detail oriented document.

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> One of the things I like about FlashDevelop is you do not have to move files around or run scripts on your sdk...

So the install instructions are likely to be different and require README changes?

Posted by Kessler CTR Mark J <ma...@usmc.mil>.
One of the things I like about FlashDevelop is you do not have to move files around or run scripts on your sdk... just add the SDK to your installed SDK list.  Can have multiple SDK's setup at once.

-Mark

Posted by Erik de Bruin <er...@ixsoftware.nl>.
Yes, gmail plain ignores anything between square brackets when it
decides what is or isn't a thread. So, in the future, we might want to
have a little difference between the subjects OUTSIDE the square
brackets (like Om did in his reply, he added two asterisks to the
subject, that worked in Gmail).

EdB

--
Ix Multimedia Software

Jan Luykenstraat 27
3521 VB Utrecht

T. 06-51952295
I. www.ixsoftware.nl

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
Hi Justin,

there's another VOTE thread?

This is marked as [VOTE], isn't it? so this is the place to vote.

Sorry, but I doesn't understand what do you saying :)

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.

Posted by Carlos Rovira <ca...@codeoscopic.com>.
+1

--
Carlos Rovira
Director de Tecnología

Re: [DISCUSSION] Apache Flex 4.10.0 Release Candidate 3

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Terry Corbet <te...@gmail.com>.
00.  Outstanding work.

01.  ReadMe.

[...]

02.  Release Notes

      A.  Version Control. " build instructions, in the included" s/b
"build instructions are included in the
README file."

03.  ASDocs. Houston, we have a problem.  Just take as an example, the
first new component, Accordian.  Clearly under the Apache Way, no one is
responsible for product quality assurance.  Many thanks to all those who
architected, coded and tested some new functionality, but most new users
will try to work with the new components starting from the documentation.
Replicating the excellence in ASDocs that Adobe established is, of course,
not possible with so many fewer people involved, but I don't  think you can
just throw over the transom whatever the engineer decided to stuff into his
code for comments.  In the same way you are checking submitted code against
your standards, you have to check the documentation against your standards.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> My email shows vote and discussion threads at 12:46 am, but changes to the
> README and RELEASE_NOTES at 2:12am (PDT).
Yep, they will become merged into develop if RC3 is successful or used in the next RC if it is not.

> Does this mean there will be an RC4?
Depends on how the votes goes.

>  Or are we voting to approve the RC with minor issues in these twofiles?
Yes - no one pointed out these (minor) issues in RC1 or RC2. I think the question to ask is the correct README/RELEASE_NOTES better than the last release or is not having that changes going to cause anyone an issue?

> RC3 will no longer diff against the release branch's head so won't a tag
> be invalid?
No it will be tagged at the correct spot/check in, so no issues there.

> Or did you slip-stream these files into the RC3 kits and update sigs?
That an option, but is probably just as much manual work and I'm not sure if that could be considered an official release.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Hi,

My email shows vote and discussion threads at 12:46 am, but changes to the
README and RELEASE_NOTES at 2:12am (PDT).  Does this mean there will be an
RC4?  Or are we voting to approve the RC with minor issues in these two
files?

RC3 will no longer diff against the release branch's head so won't a tag
be invalid?
Yes, I know it won't affect anyone's code at runtime, but if you read
these files from the kit and not from the site you will still see these
issues.

Or did you slip-stream these files into the RC3 kits and update sigs?
(which I would totally support doing instead of rolling a whole new RC4).

-Alex