Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by Andrew L <kh...@hotmail.com> on 2010/01/11 17:30:51 UTC

Qpid C++ Dev in Eclipse

Is anyone familiar with proper Eclipse set up for Qpid development?  I have been using Visual Studio (which was simple since I copied the configuration in the qpid examples), but now must change to development in Eclipse.

When I try to build in Eclipse, I get errors regarding definitions being marked as dllimport :

Description Resource Path Location Type
function `void qpid::framing::ProtocolVersion::setMajor(uint8_t)' definition is marked dllimport. line 43, external location: C:\qpid-0.5\cpp\src\qpid\framing\ProtocolVersion.h C/C++ Problem

I am using MinGW5.1.6 to compile on WinXP.

Anyone have any experience with qpid C++ dev in eclipse?

Thanks.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/

Re: Qpid C++ Dev in Eclipse

Posted by Jon Watte <jw...@gmail.com>.
Do a grep for where the code defines dllimport vs dllexport. It's quite
likely that a -D option needs to be passed to the compiler for it to know
that the symbol should be dllexported in that particular case.

Btw: when building in one space and deploying in another, the two tools that
I know that help are:

1) Continuous integration/testing. You have a buildbot that checks out and
builds the Linux version on each commit to the source tree, and mails people
if something breaks. This works best if you also have a bunch of automated
unit, functional and integration tests.

2) Virtual machines. You can download Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7 or
Sun Virtual Box, or buy something like VMWare Workstation, and run a Linux
box inside your Windows box. Share the source directory, and you can edit in
Windows, but make/run in Linux.

Sincerely,

jw

--
Americans might object: there is no way we would sacrifice our living
standards for the benefit of people in the rest of the world. Nevertheless,

Re: Qpid C++ Dev in Eclipse

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.

RE: Qpid C++ Dev in Eclipse

Posted by Andrew L <kh...@hotmail.com>.

> Hi Andrew,
>
> > Is anyone familiar with proper Eclipse set up for Qpid
> > development? I have been using Visual Studio (which was
> > simple since I copied the configuration in the qpid
> > examples), but now must change to development in Eclipse.
>
> I've never tried Eclipse with Qpid. Why do you have to change?

The development environment is Windows; however, we ultimately need the Qpid client app running on RHEL.  I am trying to mitigate the issues of developing in one OS and deploying in another.  Is there a more common solution for achieving this?  Maybe it is preferred to script a build of the binaries after writing the code in Visual Studio?

> > When I try to build in Eclipse, I get errors regarding
> > definitions being marked as dllimport :
> >
> > Description Resource Path Location Type
> > function `void
> > qpid::framing::ProtocolVersion::setMajor(uint8_t)' definition
> > is marked dllimport. line 43, external location:
> > C:\qpid-0.5\cpp\src\qpid\framing\ProtocolVersion.h C/C++ Problem
>
> It sounds like it may be a macro problem with the import/export
> requirements not being detected properly. Check in
> src/qpid/CommonImportExport.h (as a start) to see if the setup will
> properly detect your environment.

Ok, I will look into that.

> > I am using MinGW5.1.6 to compile on WinXP.
>
> You're probably the first person to try this... Are you trying to build
> Qpid or your own Qpid-using code? If Qpid, you may want to get the 0.6
> RC and try getting Cmake to generate the build setup you need. If it's a
> matter of adjusting macros, please open a jira and include any details
> there.

We're writing a qpid-using client application.

RE: Qpid C++ Dev in Eclipse

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Hi Andrew,