Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com> on 2022/06/27 23:39:22 UTC

change.xml

In preparation for the release I am going through changes.xml and am finding some issues.
1. The dev attribute should always include the uid of the committer who performed the commit.
2. The due-to attribute should be used to acknowledge the individual who either submitted a PR
    or provided enough detailed information about the problem to make fixing it easy. It should
    never include the name of a committer or PMC member. We get our credit via the dev attribute.
    Notice that the wording here is “Thanks to John Doe”. To me it would look egotistical for the
    line to say that the dev is rgoers along with “Thanks to Ralph Goers”. Why do I need to thank
    myself?
3. Why is LF-lin listed as the due-to for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3428 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2-3428>. That
    issue is for all the dependency changes performed. I don’t believe a due-to is warranted for
    simple dependency upgrades unless code changes had to be made.

I have fixed all these issues.

Ralph

Re: change.xml

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

> On Jun 28, 2022, at 3:24 AM, Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The way I've been using changes.xml is slightly different: I record my
> commit ID in dev and in due-to I usually list whomever participated by
> looking at the Jira and/or PR.

Yes, I know. Except what shows up in the changes report is

Change                                                            By
This adds foo. Thanks to Gary Gregory.         ggregory

So you end up thanking yourself.

Due-to is meant to reward contributors as motivation to keep them contributing and
become committers. Those who can commit get rewarded via the dev attribute and
appearing in the “By" column. If there is no “Thanks to” on the line then it is obvious
you did it yourself.

Ralph

Re: change.xml

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.