Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Steve Hay <st...@googlemail.com> on 2015/04/22 19:33:30 UTC

Apache::Reload versioning

The current RELEASE notes for Apache::Reload say that after bumping
the version number from X.YY-dev to X.YY-rc1 in the Changes file, this
change should not be committed, and says "(see dev@ archives)" by way
of an explanation.

However, I have searched the archives and cannot find any explanation
for this bizarre directive. Does anyone know the reason?

(I'm about to make an RC1 for Apache-Reload so that we can include the
latest code via an official release into the forthcoming
mod_perl-2.0.9.)

For the record, when I made Apache-Test-1.39, I *did* commit the -rc1
edit to the Changes file since there was no instruction not to in that
case. I cannot see that any harm has come from it, nor how it could do
in the future.

We don't bother tagging release candidates, but it might help someone
in the future looking back through the svn history to see which
commits represented different RCs, if anyone is interested.

Unless I'm overlooking something that anyone can shed some light on
then I will remove the instruction from Apache-Reload before making
RC1.

Re: Apache::Reload versioning

Posted by Tom Browder <to...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Steve Hay <st...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> (I'm about to make an RC1 for Apache-Reload so that we can include the
> latest code via an official release into the forthcoming
> mod_perl-2.0.9.)

As a watcher who has LONG awaited an official release of mod_perl for
Apache 2.4+ it seems to me time to bump the release number at least in
the second digit (conventionally the patch number).

With all the confusion about compatibility with httpd 2.4+ I see among
the expectant crowd I think the new version should at least be 2.4.0!

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: Apache::Reload versioning

Posted by Fred Moyer <fr...@redhotpenguin.com>.
I have usually ended up committing the rc number by mistake; hasn't caused
any issues for me over several releases.

Posted by Perrin Harkins <pe...@elem.com>.
Sorry Steve, I don't know what that's about. I don't see anything relevant
in my dev mail archives.

- Perrin