Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by R_KNOWLES <Ri...@reuters.com> on 2000/11/01 15:08:25 UTC

Compiling Xalan for Xerces1.2.1 [was Xalan-J 1.2 Throwing an exception from an ErrorHandler]

Gary,

Thanks for your help so far, Im glad that the samples were useful.

Following your suggestion I am trying to recompile the Xalan source against the
Xerces 1.2.1 jar file.

On the first pass the compilation fails because the org.w3c.dom.Node Interface
has changed between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. There is now a method 'isSupported'
included in the interface, and the 'supports' method has been removed.

Is this because of the changing nature of the DOM Level 2 API?

To get Xalan to compile I will have to implement this method in all the classes
that extent the Node interface (only Nodeset gets a compiler warning about the
supports method no longer existing in the interface). Do you think I could
simply use an implementation that returns false - or is this asking for
trouble?

I have not had a chance to look through the code yet to assess the extent of
changes needed as I am borowing time from my other projects for this (because I
find it interesting :) ). I will do so as soon as possible.

Any hints you can give at this point would be welcome.

Richard.

P.S. I am using JDK 1.2.2-001

the views of Reuters Ltd.

Re: Help required in extracting the tag names from XML to put in data portion of HTML

Posted by "Peter B. West" <pb...@powerup.com.au>.
Vasanth,

This is really a question for the xsl-list@mulberrytech.com.  I imagine
you would be referred to the spec, a good book and the FAQ.

You have not said that the tags will be constant from record to record,
but I assume that is the case.

The attached file works on that assumption.

Peter

--
Peter B. West  pbwest@powerup.com.au  http://powerup.com.au/~pbwest
"Lord, to whom shall we go?"

Help required in extracting the tag names from XML to put in data portion of HTML

Re: Compiling Xalan for Xerces1.2.1 [was Xalan-J 1.2 Throwing an exceptionfrom an ErrorHandler]

Posted by Gary L Peskin <ga...@firstech.com>.
R_KNOWLES wrote:
> Thanks for your help so far, Im glad that the samples were useful.
>
> Following your suggestion I am trying to recompile the Xalan source against the
> Xerces 1.2.1 jar file.
>
> On the first pass the compilation fails because the org.w3c.dom.Node Interface
> has changed between 1.2.0 and 1.2.1. There is now a method 'isSupported'
> included in the interface, and the 'supports' method has been removed.
>
> Is this because of the changing nature of the DOM Level 2 API?

Yes, this changed from the May to September versions.

> To get Xalan to compile I will have to implement this method in all the classes
> that extent the Node interface (only Nodeset gets a compiler warning about the
> supports method no longer existing in the interface). Do you think I could
> simply use an implementation that returns false - or is this asking for
> trouble?

I think that would be fine for now.  Nothing in your code calls it.  You
could also just make it call supports().

Gary