Posted to users@maven.apache.org by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com> on 2008/11/18 18:31:05 UTC

specifying "latest" for a dependency

I know this has been discussed time and time again, but I can't seem to
combine the right google keywords to find what I'm looking for.

How do you specify "latest" for a dependency?

RE: specifying "latest" for a dependency

Posted by Todd Thiessen <th...@nortel.com>.
Well, all builds are fixed.  Thus all builds are snapshots, including released builds. There is nothing intrinsic in the definition of the word snapshot which indicates that it is meant for developers only.

I am sure you are used to it by now, but I have little doubt that this is a source of confusion to new users of maven.

---
Todd Thiessen

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
OK, I'll clarify want I meant.

There are two "special" version numbers: LATEST and RELEASE.

AFAIK

Where LATEST corresponds to "the latest version according to the Maven
Repository Metadata (and I don't mind snapshots)"
and RELEASE corresponds to "the latest released version according to the
Maven Repository Metadata".

Furthermore, AFAIK, these _magic_ versions only work when specifying the
version of a plugin (as you are not allowed to use version ranges in
specifying the version of a plugin)

The _magic_ version strings do not work in the version section of a
dependency, as you can use version ranges there.

On top of all of that, you would not want to use these magic strings anyway,
as the Maven Repository Metadata thinks that the latest version is the last
one that was deployed... so if you publish foo-maven-plugin versions 1.0,
2.0, 1.1 in order then RELEASE will correspond to 1.1 and not the 2.0 that
you think it does!!! ;-)

-Stephen

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simone Gianni <si...@apache.org>.
Hi Todd,

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com>.
Where, codehaus?

P.S. - remove the auto sig from your iPod touch...

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com>.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com>.
I've also found that version ranges don't quite work as planned.

If you want anything greater than say 1.0.0.3 and anything less than
1.0.0.99 you specify  <version>(1.0.0.0,1.0.0.99)</version> you get
version 1.0.0.9 (even if there's a version 1.0.0.52).

Am I missing something?

Posted by EJ Ciramella <ec...@upromise.com>.
As per Wayne's earlier email, that won't work as it will start grabbing
things it shouldn't due to how maven looks at X.X.X.X versus X.X.X.

specify a version range with no upper bound

Sent from my iPod

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.