Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org> on 2011/08/15 00:53:27 UTC

[VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.1-incubating (RC2)

Please disregard previous mail due to incorrect subject line.

Hi all,

HCatalog community is excited to share that RC for first release of
HCatalog has been +1'd over at hcatalog-user@incubator Please try it
out and vote for the Apache HCatalog 0.1-incubating release.

Vote thread:
http://markmail.org/thread/5eypr4zl75fmnxuk

Artifact and signatures:
http://people.apache.org/~hashutosh/hcatalog-0.1.0-incubating-candidate-2/

SVN Tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/hcatalog/tags/release-0.1-rc2/

PGP release keys:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/hcatalog/branches/branch-0.1/KEYS

[ ] +1 Release the packages as Apache HCatalog 0.1-incubating
[ ] -1 Do not release the packages because...

Thanks,
Ashutosh

Re: [VOTE] Release HCatalog 0.1-incubating (RC2)

Posted by Ashutosh Chauhan <ha...@apache.org>.
One from Alan Gates.

Ashutosh

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 August 2011 23:30, sebb <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 August 2011 18:42, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>> Sebastian,
>>
>> Thanks for voting.  I have a couple questions on your feedback.  I didn't follow what you were saying about having source in the archive and about having NOTICE etc. files in every archive.  HCatalog only has one archive in this proposed release, hcatalog-0.1.0.tar.gz.  This archive does have all the required files, and it contains the source.  You can download this archive and do a build of the project (which I did before voting).
>>
>> Looking through the NOTICE file, it looks like the reference to JDBM is unneeded, as that is not used.  Other than that all the jars referenced in the file are included in the distribution.  So is your concern just the extra JDBM plus that it says "includes/uses" instead of just "includes"?
>
> Yes, mostly.
>
> What about JUnit? The archive includes junit 3.8.1 (seems a bit old -
> current version is 4.8.2)
> Also Thrift-Facebook, which has package name com.facebook - suggests
> it is not part of Apache Thrift
>
> Is ANTLR really needed at run-time? Ditto JUnit?
> If it's only need to build the software it can just be listed as a
> requirement in the build instructions.
>
> Given that the code appears to use Ivy, this should be able to fetch
> compile-time dependencies automatically.
>
> BTW, you include both log4j 1.2.15 and 1.2.16 which looks wrong. Also
> antlr 2.7.7 and 3.0.1. Mixed jars often cause problems.
>
> Not sure you need both commons-logging and commons-logging-api; also
> latest version is 1.1.1 (released 2007)
>
>> Regarding the LICENSE file the licenses for the 3rd party software is in the Hive's LICENSE file which we include, but we can move it up to the top level LICENSE file.
>
> Yes, all required licenses must be in the top-level LICENSE file. You
> cannot expect users to hunt around looking for LICENSE files.
>
> I would expect to find a separate source release archive, with just
> the source from the HCatalog project.
> If I want the source, why should I have to download all the binary
> dependencies too?
>
> BTW, I don't understand why you include an external to Hive source -
> surely you can just depend on one of the Hive releases?

One other problem:

The build.xml file in the SVN tag does not agree with the one in the archive.
It looks like the tag was created after the archive, and in the
meantime build.xml had been updated in SVN.

The tag should reflect exactly what was used to build the release candidate.
For example:
- create tag
- checkout tag in new workarea
- build from clean workarea.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 18 August 2011 23:48, Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> On Aug 18, 2011, at 3:30 PM, sebb wrote:
>>>

>> Yes, mostly.
>>
>> What about JUnit? The archive includes junit 3.8.1 (seems a bit old -
>> current version is 4.8.2)
>> Also Thrift-Facebook, which has package name com.facebook - suggests
>> it is not part of Apache Thrift
>>
>> Is ANTLR really needed at run-time? Ditto JUnit?
>> If it's only need to build the software it can just be listed as a
>> requirement in the build instructions.
>
> Antlr has a runtime jar that we need to ship.

And JUnit?

>> Given that the code appears to use Ivy, this should be able to fetch
>> compile-time dependencies automatically.
>>
>> BTW, you include both log4j 1.2.15 and 1.2.16 which looks wrong. Also
>> antlr 2.7.7 and 3.0.1. Mixed jars often cause problems.
>>
>> Not sure you need both commons-logging and commons-logging-api; also
>> latest version is 1.1.1 (released 2007)
>
> All this stuff is brought along by Hive, not HCatalog unique code, so we're not in control of the versions, including the multiple versions.

Perhaps you shpuld report the issue to Hive then.

>>> Regarding the LICENSE file the licenses for the 3rd party software is in the Hive's LICENSE file which we include, but we can move it up to the top level LICENSE file.
>>
>> Yes, all required licenses must be in the top-level LICENSE file. You
>> cannot expect users to hunt around looking for LICENSE files.
>
> We'll fix this.
>

>> I would expect to find a separate source release archive, with just
>> the source from the HCatalog project.
>> If I want the source, why should I have to download all the binary
>> dependencies too?
>
> No project I've been on so far (Hadoop, Pig) does this.

All projects I have been on - Jakarta BSF & JMeter; Commons,
HttpComponents; (and many others I use Tomcat) release source-only
archives.
Most also release binary-only archives.

See also

http://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html#valid

http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what-must-every-release-contain

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
Sebastian,

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
All,

we could really use a couple of more votes on this.  Thanks.

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@hortonworks.com>.
+1  Built and ran tests on Mac and Linux.  Built docs.  Checked the signature, checksum, and rat report.