Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Angus Berry <an...@elken.com> on 2004/03/18 14:37:34 UTC

JDO status for OJB 1.0 RC5

I wonder if some could give me a little more in depth status of JDO in
RC5.

Specifically, from looking at the mail archives I understand that in
addition to the JDO ref. mask, there is some native JDO already
implemented. So I'm wondering if what's available is buggy or just
incomplete and is this documented anywhere other than looking through
the source.

My reason being is I have a facade pattern to OJB as my ORM, but I was
hoping to use as much JDO as possible to lessen the change when it
becomes fully available.

thanks

Re: JDO status for OJB 1.0 RC5

Posted by Thomas Mahler <th...@web.de>.
Hi Angus,

Angus Berry wrote:
> I appreciate the insight.
>
> I understand that the JDORI plugin has some additional administrative
> work, but is it production stable?

It is production stable. But it does not scale.
The JDORI has some specific limitations that will become a problem if
you run OJB/JDORI against database tables populated with a large number
of rows. (large is relative to the java heap memory you can afford).

The reason for this is that the JDORI does not provide an efficient
query API for the SToreManager plugin. It does only know Identity based
queries ("select * from table where pk=1") and extent queries ("select *
from table").
All query filtering is done AFTER the extent (i.e. the whole table) has
been loaded into memory!

Please  note that this is not an OJB problem, but a limitation of the
JDORI plugin API.

Thomas

Re: JDO status for OJB 1.0 RC5

Posted by Angus Berry <an...@elken.com>.