Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Filkorn Roman <Ro...@swh.sk> on 2001/05/19 18:16:14 UTC

character encoding

Hi !

I am new to FOP. I tried to process some text in slovak and I realized
that a few of our language-specific characters are not supported. I
searched through Adobe PDF spec and -- it is not in there either.

What can I do (how may I help) to add these characters ?

Thanks,

Roman Filkorn

p.s. src/codegen/charlist.xml

<map adobe-name="zcaron" win-ansi="0x009E" unicode="0x017E"/>   <!-- you
have win-ansi="-1"-->
<map adobe-name="Zcaron" win-ansi="0x008E" unicode="0x017D"/>

Re: character encoding

Posted by Petr Andrs <pa...@artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz>.
Hi,

you need to use TTF embedding (since winansiencoding used natively in
PDF and in standard PDF fonts does not cover all Slovak (and Czech)
characters). You need to use CVS version since recent release (0.18.1)
has some problems with TTF embedding. You have to embed unicoded TTFs -
these dowloadable from Microsoft's Typography pages work fine. And
using UTF-8 in FO documents is recommended.

To embed TTF fonts you need to generate metrics for the font and set it
in userconfig.xml, furhter details in FOP documentation.

For viewing PDFs generated this way you need Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.05
or newer.

pa