Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by "Vigo, Nestor" <Ne...@pearson.com> on 2006/02/03 15:55:23 UTC

Binary Files comparison

I am using Subversion (v1.2.0 on Linux) as SCM tool, Tortoise SVN (v 1.2.4)
as client.

I would like to make a comparison (diff) between binary files.

Are there any way (function, option) in Tortoise SVN to do that? If so,
which one?

Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards.

If you were not an intended recipient,

Re: Binary Files comparison

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 2/3/06, Vigo, Nestor <Ne...@pearson.com> wrote:

> I am using Subversion (v1.2.0 on Linux) as SCM tool, Tortoise SVN (v 1.2.4)
> as client.
>
> I would like to make a comparison (diff) between binary files.
>
> Are there any way (function, option) in Tortoise SVN to do that? If so,
> which one?

This question would have been better to ask on the tsvn user list :)

Anyways, you can specify which diff tool to use per extension in
TortoiseSVN. This is done in the Diff Viewer section of the TSVN
Settings dialog. Click the Advanced button.

http://tortoisesvn.sourceforge.net/docs/release/TortoiseSVN_en/help-onepage.html#tsvn-DUG-settings-dia-6

/Johan

Re: Binary Files comparison

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@softlanding.com>.
"Vigo, Nestor" <Ne...@pearson.com> wrote on 02/03/2006 10:55:23 AM:

> I am using Subversion (v1.2.0 on Linux) as SCM tool, Tortoise SVN (v
1.2.4) as client.

> I would like to make a comparison (diff) between binary files.
> Are there any way (function, option) in Tortoise SVN to do that? If so,
which one?

> Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated,

TortoiseSVN has its own mailing lists:

users@tortoisesvn.tigris.org.

TortoiseSVN does not come with any binary compare tools, but it does allow
you to plugin a custom diff tool by file type.  As an example, it comes
pre-loaded with scripts to compare Word/Excel or OpenOffice documents
using the compare engines built into those tools.

Mark