Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/24 10:11:09 UTC

Kerberos authentication for SQL CLI

Hi!

Does the SQL CLI support Kerberos Authentication?

I am struggling to find any use of the SecurityContext in the SQL CLI logic
but maybe I am looking in the wrong place.

Thank you!
Gyula

Re: Kerberos authentication for SQL CLI

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
I think the reason why its different from the CliFrontend is that the
sql client is way younger and as far as I know never reached
"production" readiness. (as per the docs [1], it's still marked as Beta,
plus see the first "Attention" ;) ).

I think it certainly makes sense to have a proper security story. In a
way that's also where my question about which parts of the sql client
you would see guarded with kerberos. I think well put requirements in
that area, could make a really great feature request. Catalogs are
certainly a good point, as the client accesses catalogs to query the
schema even before submitting the job.

Best,

Dawid

Posted by Gyula Fóra <gy...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dawid,

I think you are right that most of the things should work like this just
fine. Maybe some catalogs will need this at some point but not right now,
I was just wondering why is this different from how the CliFrontend works
which also installs the security context on the Client side.

I guess same arguments should apply for the SQL CLI, whatever they might be
:)

Gyula

Posted by Dawid Wysakowicz <dw...@apache.org>.
Hi Gyula,