Posted to mime4j-dev@james.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2009/02/08 14:35:05 UTC

mime4j 0.6 preview packages

Folks

Please do take a few minutes to review the release notes, packages and
the updated web site for the upcoming 0.6 release.

Release notes:
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

Packages:
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/

Web site:
http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/site/

If there are no issues reported within a couple of days
I will go ahead with building the official release packages and calling
a release vote.

Oleg

Re: mime4j 0.6 preview packages

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks
>
> Please do take a few minutes to review the release notes, packages and
> the updated web site for the upcoming 0.6 release.
>
> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/RELEASE_NOTES.txt
>
> Packages:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/
>
> Web site:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/site/
>
> If there are no issues reported within a couple of days
> I will go ahead with building the official release packages and calling
> a release vote.

looks good :-)

- robert

Re: m2 and -Plocal (was: mime4j 0.6 preview packages)

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 8:41 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 16:55, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> <snip/>

>>> -Plocal has been introduced as a *compromise* by me 2 years ago, after
>>> working weeks (if not months) trying to satisfy really strict security
>>> requirements from other PMC members. They was rejecting the use of maven
>>> to make releases if this meant to use remote repositories because of
>>> security concerns.
>>>
>>> Even if I understand and share the security issues and the
>>> reproducibility issues with m2, I always thought that the whole issue
>>> was a big waste of time for me and for the JAMES project. THE solution
>>> for maven and this issue is to setup our own repository with a
>>> repository manager. Unfortunately it seems there is no will to setup
>>> this kind of 3rd party repository inside the ASF.
>>>
>>> The whole thing had already found inconsistency when we decided that we
>>> was not entitled shipping poms for jars that we ship in the stage folder
>>> (expecially wrt javamail stuff).
>>>
>>> That said, here is my +1 to remove the -Plocal suggestion in BUILDING.txt.
>>
>> For me the foremost reason to not rely on a remote maven repos is that
>> I firmly believe that any ASF project should be self-hosting.
>> (I'm repeating myself here of course, but I'd like to say it again as
>> the maven question has been brought up again.)
>> Self-hosting has its limits, of course we won't keep copies of ant or
>> the JDK around. But all the funny (to use a nice f-word) little maven
>> dependencies and plug-ins can really make your day, especially when
>> not accessible, either because servers are unreachable or working
>> offline.

i can appreciate this reasoning

i think that maintaining an offline build capability would be easier
than the current compromise

<snip>

>> For example: I'm connected to the net right now. I run 'mvn
>> dependency:tree', on a James server trunk checkout and I'm getting
>> errors. Mmhhh. Maybe this mvn build is not maintained, but the general
>> experience is: If maven works, you're fine. But if you get dependency
>> errors, you are really in trouble.

the maven build is currently broken but i'm working on fixing it

> I feel the same with any build tool I don't know. Whenever I have to
> build a python or perl project if it works I'm fine, but if I get any
> error I'm really in trouble. It's just a matter of knowledge of the
> tool. The choice of the build tool is just as important as the choice of
> the language or the choice of a dependency.

the continuous integration needs sorting out (too much to do, too
little time), and IMHO should be running both maven and ant builds

>> Purging a local m2 repo cannot be recommended. So prestine builds are
>> not really happening, because of the local m2.
>
> You can specify a custom local repository when you run m2.

i now clean the repo for my build user but not when i develop

>> What if somebody wants to build one of our mvn dependent products in 5
>> or 10 years? Should that work? I firmly doubt it will!
>
> IMO to release is much more important than to be able to reproduce a
> release in 10 years. So first we should be able to release with no PITA,
> then when there will be spare cycle we'll find time to create a virtual
> machine with the right os, the right libraries, the right JVM, the right
> DATE/TIME of the virtual machine, the right build tool, and all the
> dependencies.

getting a working offline build isn't that much of a hassle for a
release. what's much more annoying is the active excluding of
repositories for security reasons since this slows down development
for IMHO little gain.

>> Maybe the solution is to establish a repo for our James product
>> dependencies here in our own project. But that will likely create
>> distribution issues.
>>
>> I don't want to be a PITA, you can change the build to not depend on
>> -Plocal. I backup my local m2 anyway.
>
> IMHO ASF should have an ASF managed m2 repository (the maven central is
> managed by apache people, but not with their apache hats). Or even
> better, each PMC should have its own repository (disk space is cheap,
> cheaper than discussions to achieve compromises).

the pre-requisite to this would be solving the known potential
licensing and security issues. if these were solved then there would
be little to be gained by hosting a general repository at apache.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 21:41, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Bernd Fondermann ha scritto:
>> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 16:55, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> <snip/>

>>> -Plocal has been introduced as a *compromise* by me 2 years ago, after
>>> working weeks (if not months) trying to satisfy really strict security
>>> requirements from other PMC members. They was rejecting the use of maven
>>> to make releases if this meant to use remote repositories because of
>>> security concerns.
>>>
>>> Even if I understand and share the security issues and the
>>> reproducibility issues with m2, I always thought that the whole issue
>>> was a big waste of time for me and for the JAMES project. THE solution
>>> for maven and this issue is to setup our own repository with a
>>> repository manager. Unfortunately it seems there is no will to setup
>>> this kind of 3rd party repository inside the ASF.
>>>
>>> The whole thing had already found inconsistency when we decided that we
>>> was not entitled shipping poms for jars that we ship in the stage folder
>>> (expecially wrt javamail stuff).
>>>
>>> That said, here is my +1 to remove the -Plocal suggestion in BUILDING.txt.
>>
>> For me the foremost reason to not rely on a remote maven repos is that
>> I firmly believe that any ASF project should be self-hosting.
>> (I'm repeating myself here of course, but I'd like to say it again as
>> the maven question has been brought up again.)
>> Self-hosting has its limits, of course we won't keep copies of ant or
>> the JDK around. But all the funny (to use a nice f-word) little maven
>> dependencies and plug-ins can really make your day, especially when
>> not accessible, either because servers are unreachable or working
>> offline.
>
> Have you ever tried a repository manager? (e.g: Nexus, or Archiva if you
> want to stay Apache).

I know them. There are simply no additional benefits for me in them.

>> For example: I'm connected to the net right now. I run 'mvn
>> dependency:tree', on a James server trunk checkout and I'm getting
>> errors. Mmhhh. Maybe this mvn build is not maintained, but the general
>> experience is: If maven works, you're fine. But if you get dependency
>> errors, you are really in trouble.
>
> I feel the same with any build tool I don't know. Whenever I have to
> build a python or perl project if it works I'm fine, but if I get any
> error I'm really in trouble. It's just a matter of knowledge of the
> tool. The choice of the build tool is just as important as the choice of
> the language or the choice of a dependency.

I know maven well enough. I use it nearly every day. That's not the
problem here.

>> Purging a local m2 repo cannot be recommended. So prestine builds are
>> not really happening, because of the local m2.
>
> You can specify a custom local repository when you run m2.

I know. But who does that before building? Robert. But no other sane person.

>> What if somebody wants to build one of our mvn dependent products in 5
>> or 10 years? Should that work? I firmly doubt it will!
>
> IMO to release is much more important than to be able to reproduce a
> release in 10 years.

We primarily ship code. Do you say we should stop that, because it's
not important if that works (now or in 1 or 5 or 10 years)? To build a
src dist with mvn you need resolve much to much dependencies (IMHO).

> So first we should be able to release with no PITA,

at least this works with maven ;-)

> then when there will be spare cycle we'll find time to create a virtual
> machine with the right os, the right libraries, the right JVM, the right
> DATE/TIME of the virtual machine, the right build tool, and all the
> dependencies.
>
>> Maybe the solution is to establish a repo for our James product
>> dependencies here in our own project. But that will likely create
>> distribution issues.
>>
>> I don't want to be a PITA, you can change the build to not depend on
>> -Plocal. I backup my local m2 anyway.
>
> IMHO ASF should have an ASF managed m2 repository (the maven central is
> managed by apache people, but not with their apache hats). Or even
> better, each PMC should have its own repository (disk space is cheap,
> cheaper than discussions to achieve compromises).
>
> Stefano

Bernd

m2 and -Plocal (was: mime4j 0.6 preview packages)

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Stefano Bagnara wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski ha scritto:
>> Markus Wiederkehr wrote:

>>> I wonder if the information in BUILDING.txt is still up to date?
>>>
>> It can certainly be improved. I'll look into it.
>>

>>> Is maven version 2.0.6 still sufficient?
>>> And for me "mvn package" always did the job; no -U, no -Plocal..
>>>
>> Neither option is required. I guess -Plocal can come handy when building
>> packages while off-line.
>
> -Plocal has been introduced as a *compromise* by me 2 years ago, after
> working weeks (if not months) trying to satisfy really strict security
> requirements from other PMC members. They was rejecting the use of maven
> to make releases if this meant to use remote repositories because of
> security concerns.
>
> Even if I understand and share the security issues and the
> reproducibility issues with m2, I always thought that the whole issue
> was a big waste of time for me and for the JAMES project. THE solution
> for maven and this issue is to setup our own repository with a
> repository manager. Unfortunately it seems there is no will to setup
> this kind of 3rd party repository inside the ASF.
>
> The whole thing had already found inconsistency when we decided that we
> was not entitled shipping poms for jars that we ship in the stage folder
> (expecially wrt javamail stuff).
>
> That said, here is my +1 to remove the -Plocal suggestion in BUILDING.txt.
>
> Stefano

I tweaked BUILDING.txt a little. Please review and make corrections you
deem necessary.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Oleg Kalnichevski ha scritto:
>
> <snip>

>>> Neither option is required. I guess -Plocal can come handy when building
>>> packages while off-line.
>>
>> -Plocal has been introduced as a *compromise* by me 2 years ago, after
>> working weeks (if not months) trying to satisfy really strict security
>> requirements from other PMC members. They was rejecting the use of maven
>> to make releases if this meant to use remote repositories because of
>> security concerns.
>
> i never really understood the detail behind these concerns
>
> maven uses lots of dependencies, many of which it downloads. so, the
> direct way to infect a release would be by compromising the build tool
> itself (maven). compromising a released jar through a malware compile
> time dependency sounds like something which would require a lot of
> skill.
>
> if maven isn't secure enough then it should be used at all
                                                            ^^^^^^^^
                                                            shouldn't be

- robert

Re: mime4j 0.6 preview packages

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski ha scritto:
>> Markus Wiederkehr wrote:
>>> On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 7:53 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>

<snip>

>>> Is maven version 2.0.6 still sufficient?
>>> And for me "mvn package" always did the job; no -U, no -Plocal..
>>>

>> Neither option is required. I guess -Plocal can come handy when building
>> packages while off-line.
>
> -Plocal has been introduced as a *compromise* by me 2 years ago, after
> working weeks (if not months) trying to satisfy really strict security
> requirements from other PMC members. They was rejecting the use of maven
> to make releases if this meant to use remote repositories because of
> security concerns.

i never really understood the detail behind these concerns

maven uses lots of dependencies, many of which it downloads. so, the
direct way to infect a release would be by compromising the build tool
itself (maven). compromising a released jar through a malware compile
time dependency sounds like something which would require a lot of
skill.

if maven isn't secure enough then it should be used at all

> Even if I understand and share the security issues and the
> reproducibility issues with m2, I always thought that the whole issue
> was a big waste of time for me and for the JAMES project. THE solution
> for maven and this issue is to setup our own repository with a
> repository manager. Unfortunately it seems there is no will to setup
> this kind of 3rd party repository inside the ASF.

the conclusion i reached is that this wouldn't be good enough anyway.
what would be required is a hardened version of maven.

> The whole thing had already found inconsistency when we decided that we
> was not entitled shipping poms for jars that we ship in the stage folder
> (expecially wrt javamail stuff).

licensing issues make it hard to use stage effective

- robert

Re: mime4j 0.6 preview packages

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 6:53 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
>>
>> (i hope to do a proper review of the releases tomorrow)
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Markus Wiederkehr
>> <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder if we should include any or all of the older notes from 0.4 and
>>> 0.5:
>>>
>>>  * Mime4j API is still considered unstable and is likely to change in
>>> future releases
>>>  * DOM support has known limitations and some roundtrip issues remain
>>> to be resolved
>>>  * Some low level functions are available only in the pull parser
>>> (recommended for
>>>  advanced users)
>>>
>>> I would opt for numbers 1 and 3;
>>
>> +1
>>
>>> number 2 should have been resolved
>>> sufficiently in the course of MIME4J-34..
>>
>> probably worth saying something about 2, maybe
>>
>> "The DOM API has been now been comprehensively refactored and the
>> known limitations addressed. Please report any remaining issues to
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MIME4J."
>>
>> we should probably add something about the known limitations of some
>> of the field parsing code, maybe something like
>>
>> "0.6 contains a mixture of approaches to the parsing of advanced MIME
>> field types. Limitations are known with these approaches with some
>> relatively uncommon use cases. A consistent and comprehensive rewrite
>> is planned for 0.7 which should consolidate and address these."
>>
>> - robert
>

> Markus, Robert
>
> Sounds very reasonable. There is no need for a complex protocol. Just go
> ahead and apply changes that you deem necessary.

ok

i've patched RELEASE_NOTES.txt. hopefully, i've addressed all the
improvements suggested.

AFACT everything's good

- robert

Re: mime4j 0.6 preview packages

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Markus Wiederkehr <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> Folks
>
> Please do take a few minutes to review the release notes, packages and
> the updated web site for the upcoming 0.6 release.
>
> Release notes:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/RELEASE_NOTES.txt

I wonder if we should include any or all of the older notes from 0.4 and 0.5:

 * Mime4j API is still considered unstable and is likely to change in
future releases
 * DOM support has known limitations and some roundtrip issues remain
to be resolved
 * Some low level functions are available only in the pull parser
(recommended for
   advanced users)

I would opt for numbers 1 and 3; number 2 should have been resolved
sufficiently in the course of MIME4J-34..

> Packages:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/
>
> Web site:
> http://people.apache.org/~olegk/mime4j-0.6-preview/site/