Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/03 05:16:47 UTC

T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

I've created a new project for the proposed book at
http://code.google.com/p/tapestry5-book , and posted the proposed table of
contents at
http://code.google.com/p/tapestry5-book/wiki/ProposedTableOfContents . Now
that I'm looking at it, it's a little disappointing as the TOC doesn't
really have anything new in it (e.g. some of it is covered in tutorials,
other is in the project docs, etc). However, I guess that the content really
can't be all that different - it's all about building web apps, covering the
same materials as the other documentation. In the end, I think that the book
will be different from the other existing documents based on its style and
breadth of content, and not so much in the topics it covers.

Anyway, I would like to create a mailing list and add everyone who has
expressed an interest in contributing to the book. Unfortunately, Google
Code doesn't have mailng lists, so I'll probably have to look around for
that (Nabble, maybe?). Any suggestions would be welcome here.

In terms of moving the proposed TOC forward, here are some of my next steps
:
1. Attribute the main sections of the project documentation into possible
chapters in the book.
2. Discuss feedback from this list on the content of the proposed TOC : e.g.
any alternative ideas on how to organize the book, changes to the proposed
chapter titles, order, etc.

It would be great if there are any volunteers to investigate some of the
issues that were discussed previously in the thread below, I'll probably
post the needed tasks somewhere on the wiki as well.

When we get our mailing list set up, I think that individuals or groups of
individuals can claim ownership of each chapter (and thus get "voting
rights" on the TOC, chapter layout, further modifications, etc.

Cheers,

Alex Kotchnev

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Tim,
   regarding the application accompanying the book, I think that the first
chapter of the book doesn't necessarily have to have a full blown
application, fully completed with all bells and whistles. It only needs to
be good enough working application, that could have a "black blox" part that
would easily illustrate the points in the chapter. The idea is that each
chapter could possibly have a standalone application, each chapter at a
different stage of completion. The chapter's don't necessarily have to even
build on each other in terms of the application : e.g. the book could have a
"base" application (e.g. fully working  T5/S/H app) and each chapter can
expand on a particular topic (e.g. components, pages, navigation, whatever),
not necessariy including the improvements from previous chapters (if the
previous chapter's improvements don't contribute anything to the discussion
in the current chapter).

   I think the two ideas floated here (e.g. scope and topic organization I
very much like the idea of having a full app, de-emphasizing the
non-essential parts (e.g. like Spring / Hibernate) or just mentioning just
enough to make it understandable but referencing the respective reference
manuals for more details.

   Regarding the possibility of making the book with such a structure that
it would be easy to jump around different chapters without following any
particular order , I don't think it would be very feasible. The point is
that accomplishing that would require quite a bit of discipline and
structure, which would be very difficult to achieve with a diverse group of
contributors. I'd think that a user who is advanced enough could still jump
around the book that was originally written to be read sequentially.

Cheers,

Alex Kotchnev

P.S. This is *really* the last post on the subject on this list, I'll
continue w/ the Google group.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Timothy Sweetser <transitauthority@gmail.com

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Richard Clark <rd...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 4:29 PM, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say that step 1 would be to collaborative design and implement
> the sample application.  From that, the outline and division of tasks
> should be more attainable.

Let me second that :) When I was building programming courses (e.g.
for Apple), I always started by coming up with an example application.
The trick is to come up with something straightforward that also
reflects the key issues developers will face.

Off the top of my head, I'd look for something that is:
- Stateful (both in the session and between sessions)
- Content-oriented (possibly with a media database)
- Potentially multi-user
- Amenable to a AJAX-style UI
- Amenable to talking to an external system
- Interesting to the "Web 2.0" crowd

Some possible ideas are a RSS aggregator, a Tinderbox-like webapp (see
http://www.eastgate.com/Tinderbox/ ), a Digg clone, etc.

...Richard

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Angelo Turetta <at...@bestunion.it>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:
> I would say that step 1 would be to collaborative design and implement
> the sample application.  From that, the outline and division of tasks
> should be more attainable.

Oh, yes!
That would also make an excellent living tutorial (someone mentioned
PetStore; yes, something like that).

Angelo.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Don Ryan <do...@dit.ie> wrote:

> On 4 Sep 2008, at 17:05, Timothy Sweetser wrote:
>
>> When people only have an hour a day, and may only write a paragraph or
>> two, I think that works against us. You decrease the contribution pool and
>> increase the amount of effort required to get somewhere.
>
> That's a fair point. The sort of thing I was talking about may require more
> central steering than is possible with piecemeal contributions from a large
> group.
>
> That said, a mechanism already exists to collect isolated contributions on a
> variety of topics from a wide range of people, namely the existing wiki. And
> good luck to anyone trying to wrap a narrative structure around the
> disparate collection of HOWTO-like snippets in your typical open-source
> project wiki. The only kind of book that could result from such an exercise
> would be one of those "cookbook"-style books, the ones that catalog a large
> number of free-standing techniques. Perhaps pragmatism should dictate that
> that is what is aimed for here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Don.
>
> This message has been scanned for content and viruses by the DIT Information
> Services E-Mail Scanning Service, and is believed to be clean.
> http://www.dit.ie

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Timothy Sweetser <tr...@gmail.com>.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Don Ryan <do...@dit.ie>.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Timothy Sweetser <tr...@gmail.com>.
The problem with building the book, from the start, around a working
application (or, vise versa, building an application during the course
of the book), in my mind, is that it requires far more cooperation and
coordination between the contributors.  I don't think it really works
to the strengths of a collaborative, wiki-esque environment. It makes
it more difficult for new contributors to join in, since contributions
have to fit within a pre-defined narrative flow. You won't have people
specializing in one area or another, since bits and pieces of the
topic might be scattered throughout the book. And it increases the
overhead for existing contributors, because of the potential for
endless discussion on what should fit in where and how to improve the
book's flow or the application's scope. When people only have an hour
a day, and may only write a paragraph or two, I think that works
against us. You decrease the contribution pool and increase the amount
of effort required to get somewhere.

If, instead, we take on the role of researchers at this stage, just
breaking things down by scope and topic, then we're laying a strong
foundation for the best contributors to create the final product. You
minimize the amount of digging and fact-checking the "authors" will
have to make, while making it easy for anyone to contribute and
specialize. In the process, we identify the people best suited to the
task of forming that cohesive whole. It gets us off and running
quickly, while accounting for the need to eventually establish a
narrative, whatever form it might take. It's a less messy, albeit
probably longer, method for reaching the same goal, a method with, in
my opinion, a greater chance for success.

Timothy S.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Wed, 03 Sep 2008 18:44:06 -0300, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> So far, my experience has been to say "We're using Hibernate.  It
> looks like this.  Just play along for now." and that seems to work.
>
> I'm not teaching Hibernate, just explaining enough to satisfy the
> demands of the lab.  And I think there's great value in the fact that
> the applications are "real".  In the past, I wasted a lot of energy
> with "fake" in-memory databases.  It's nice to know that data sticks
> from execution to execution, and that any related problems with
> integrating the database are present from day 1.  I think this builds
> confidence in the students that the work their doing is useful.

In this cases, my approach is giving them a working persistence layer
already implemented in Hibernate and HSQLDB. So, they have a functional
database without worrying about that, just about Tapestry or Spring or
whatever is being taught.

Thiago

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
So far, my experience has been to say "We're using Hibernate.  It
looks like this.  Just play along for now." and that seems to work.

I'm not teaching Hibernate, just explaining enough to satisfy the
demands of the lab.  And I think there's great value in the fact that
the applications are "real".  In the past, I wasted a lot of energy
with "fake" in-memory databases.  It's nice to know that data sticks
from execution to execution, and that any related problems with
integrating the database are present from day 1.  I think this builds
confidence in the students that the work their doing is useful.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:55 AM, Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
<th...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Em Wed, 03 Sep 2008 15:31:05 -0300, ProAdmin Dariusz Dwornikowski
> <da...@proadmin.com.pl> escreveu:
>
>> Tapestry alone is no use if you do not have DB.
>
> As a instructor of Java, Hibernate, Spring and other frameworks, my
> experience says that people learn way better when they're learning just one
> thing, one concept, one feature at a time. Therefore, I think the book must
> focus in Tapestry and abstract away the persistence layer. In a later
> chapter, the book would show how to integrate Tapestry and Hibernate. In
> another chapter, the book would show a complete example of Tapestry +
> Hibernate + Spring.
>
> Thiago

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Timothy Sweetser <tr...@gmail.com>.
Instead of debating the book's structure first, why don't we start out
by just breaking it down into the various topics and subtopics
(excluding introductions, tutorials, and "prolonged examples") and
working on them? From my perspective, the priority should be first on
compiling and organizing information, and then later on creating the
narrative structure that ties those individual topics together.

I'd think that, towards the end of the process, we'd have a select few
editors polishing the book. At some point we have to give someone that
responsibility or else it'll remain a wiki (essentially) forever, with
lots of people and lots of opinions on what direction the book should
go. The way I see it, we're responsible for providing the raw
materials, and once that snowball of information reaches critical
mass, we elect the best contributors to the job of creating the final
product. We're the researchers, providing the detailed information and
fact-checking, while the role of editor is reserved for the people who
shine the most during that researching process.

Very much an "IMO", but I believe it offers the best chance for
creating a cohesive and coherent end product.

Timothy

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Patrick Moore <pa...@amplafi.com>.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.

RE: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by "Newham, Cameron" <ca...@bl.uk>.
Hear hear.

I too would love to see a complete application made from start to finish using T/S/H.

Something along the lines of what Howard suggested (but please - no "pet store"!)

I'm looking forward to seeing how this new book progresses.

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The British Library's new interactive Annual Report and Accounts 2007/08 : www.bl.uk/knowledge

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@bl.uk : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by ProAdmin Dariusz Dwornikowski <da...@proadmin.com.pl>.
> [...]

> >> :
> >> 1. Attribute the main sections of the project documentation into
> possible
> >> chapters in the book.
> >> 2. Discuss feedback from this list on the content of the proposed TOC :
> >> e.g.
> >> any alternative ideas on how to organize the book, changes to the
> proposed
> >> chapter titles, order, etc.
> >>
> >> It would be great if there are any volunteers to investigate some of the
> >> issues that were discussed previously in the thread below, I'll probably
> >> post the needed tasks somewhere on the wiki as well.
> >>
> >> When we get our mailing list set up, I think that individuals or groups
> of
> >> individuals can claim ownership of each chapter (and thus get "voting
> >> rights" on the TOC, chapter layout, further modifications, etc.

Pozdrawiam,
Dariusz Dwornikowski
------------------------------------
ProAdmin
ul. Królowej Jadwigi 44/2
61-872 Poznań
tel: 061 623-20-92
kom: 0601 59-64-74
fax: 061 623-20-93
www.proadmin.com.pl
dariusz.dwornikowski@proadmin.com.pl

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Looked at the TOC.

> [...]

>>> of the book application and other cool stuff.
>>> Still, for now i think we can live with a project on some project hosting
>>> site where we can host the book files and wiki.

>>> Shouldn't the outline be already created in a tapestry-book wiki ?
>>> We could decide on where to host it and then move the discussion to the
>>> dedicated list and use its wiki for the outline.
>>>
>>>  On whether the book would cover additional libraries (e.g. chennilekit,

>>> While it's true that if we go down the line of including third party
>>> libraries it will always be incomplete and maybe unfair to some i think
>>> it
>>> would be important to cover the ones that we consider the most used. We
>>> could go with a voting process where each one would say the top 2 or 3
>>> third
>>> party libraries in his opinion. The top 2 or 3 would get included in the

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.
Just to wrap up the initial discussion on this thread, I'll respond here.
Any future discussion should probably occur on the Google Groups.

I've taken a liking to BitBucket (http://www.bitbucket.org/), which is quite
similar to what assemla seems to offer, but also has Mercurial repository,
which I think would be very useful in this project. Since the Google Code
project only seems to support Subversion, although it wouldn't be the
primary repo for the code, we can set up some regular code drops.

Cheers,

Alex K

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Re: T5 : [ANN] The book - next steps

Posted by Chris Lewis <ch...@bellsouth.net>.
Awesome! I'll try to have a look in a couple of hours, and if I can make
the time, I'd like to contribute either in raw content and/or
collaborative editing. As for a discussion channel for the book, why not
use google-groups?

http://thegodcode.net

RE: T5 : [ANN] The book - (Index & Appendices)

Posted by Russell Brown <Ru...@ioko.com>.
I think a character in Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Cat's Cradle has a fair bit of
advice on indexing your own book (she says "never").

Posted by Alex Kotchnev <ak...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ph...@digiatlas.org.