Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by "Ames, Tim" <Ti...@ProMedica.org> on 2009/06/18 15:55:40 UTC

Ajax enabled pages are slow to load

I have recently converted a project from 1.3.5 to 1.4.rc-4.  The only thing that I have changed with it is adding all the generics.

On pages, panels, etc. that I have ajax classes, the pages are taking a great deal of time to load. They were not
exactly quick to load for me in 1.3.5, but in 1.4.rc-4 they are painfully slow.

While in debug mode, I check during the database loading phase and all that is running very quickly. It seems to be at the rendering phase where the problem lies. I notice in the stack that there are many many Daemon threads being created before the page will finally display.  I have ran this in development and in deployment mode with no appreciable difference (and on two different web servers).

For a test I placed a breakpoint in the onRender() method of the page.  The breakpoint occurred about halfway through all the Daemon threads that were being created.

I am using Tomcat 6.0.14

I am noticing this in other projects not just this one. Any suggestions on what to look for to speed it up?  I do have logging on with info, so I have verified that all the objects are serializable.

One of the projects has a webpage class with a mix of these ajax components:
AjaxSelfUpdatingTimerBehavior;
AjaxLink;
ModalWindow;
IndicatingAjaxLink;

Timothy Ames
Developer II
Promedica Health Systems, North
Direct phone: 517-265-0281
Internal extension: 72281

EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This Email message, and any attachments, may contain confidential
patient health information that is legally protected. This information
is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing
this information to any other party unless required to do so by law
or regulation and is required to destroy the information after its stated
need has been fulfilled. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action
taken in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this information in error, please notify
the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete the
message from your system.

Re: Ajax enabled pages are slow to load

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.
great. i added a warning to the javadoc saying the implementations
should be fast.

-igor

Posted by T Ames <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.