Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jose Luiz Juniot <ta...@mandic.com.br> on 2003/08/19 19:03:04 UTC

One Question

I really love Velocity, but one thing every worry me.

Why not can I load template by your full location?

Like:

Velocity.getTemplate(new File("/anything/something/mylittletemplate.vm"));

or

Velocity.getTemplate(new File("c:\\something\\mytemplate.vm"));

or

Velocity.getTemplate(new File("d:\\anything\\thetemplate.vm"));

I do not use Velocity only with Servlet. I use with regular application.

Thanks
José Luiz Junior

Re: One Question

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On Tuesday, August 19, 2003, at 01:03 PM, Jose Luiz Juniot wrote:

> I really love Velocity, but one thing every worry me.
>
> Why not can I load template by your full location?
>

> Like:
>
> Velocity.getTemplate(new
> File("/anything/something/mylittletemplate.vm"));
>
> or
>
> Velocity.getTemplate(new File("c:\\something\\mytemplate.vm"));
>
> or
>
> Velocity.getTemplate(new File("d:\\anything\\thetemplate.vm"));
>

> I do not use Velocity only with Servlet. I use with regular
> application.

Right - the simple answer is that we made the choice in the
FileResourceLoader to not allow direct access to resources, but make it
relative.  I don't think it's worth debating the merits of this as it
is done :)

However,  I certainly understand your concern about using Velocity
outside of the servlet environment.  I use it outside of servlets as
well for a significant amount of use.  To that end, I do a few things,
such as set "/" as the root for file loading, or use the helper methods
in VelocityEngine, and just feed it a Reader of my file content...

geir

> Thanks
> José Luiz Junior

Adeptra, Inc.                                       203-434-2093(m)
geirm@adeptra.com                                   203-247-1713(m)