Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andrew Nagy <an...@villanova.edu> on 2006/12/08 23:58:27 UTC

Result: numFound inaccuracies

Hello, me again.

I have been running some extensive tests of my search engine and have
been seeing inaccuracies with the "numFound" attribute.  It tends to
return 1 more than what is actually show in the XML.

Is this a bug, or could I be doing something wrong?

I have a specific example in front of me at the moment where my query
found 2 records, yet I get: "<result numFound="3" start="1">

Any ideas?

Andrew

Re: Result: numFound inaccuracies

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 12/9/06, Tracey Jaquith <tr...@archive.org> wrote:
>  hey, this bit me last week, too ;-)

If there's a natural place in the documentation that you can think of
that would prevent other people from making the same mistake, feel
free to add it.  The wiki is open to all!

Anyway, glad to hear Solr is working for you.... hopefully you can
soon add IA to
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/PublicServers

-Yonik

Re: Result: numFound inaccuracies

Posted by Tracey Jaquith <tr...@archive.org>.
hey, this bit me last week, too ;-)
it had me completely miserable, thinking "oh no, solr doesn't work for us!"
when i was installing it, and took me a few hours to figure it out!

while "on the phone" now, I'm happy to announce from Internet Archive
some results.

We indexed 523K documents in about 2 hours, yielding an index of a mere
0.9 GB.
I slipped in into friday night's live servers for about 90 minutes to
watch performance.

It was a *CHAMP*!!
It easily laughed at load queries of 3 req/sec, using miniscule amounts
of disk I/O,
no swapping/paging, and only minor CPU bursts (on one dual-core 4GB
intel linux box).

I'll report more, but that's enough of a "happy holidays" for us at IA!
(Compare this to our current search engine embarrassment/disaster --
   5 boxes (replication -- 4 readers all with 4GB dual-core intel + 1
writer 8GB quad intel)
   handles about 3 query req/sec and often has CPU at 100% and mem at 50%.
   index for slightly *smaller* docset is a "WTF?" 23GB)

--tracey

--
*       --Tracey Jaquith - http://www.archive.org/~tracey
<http://www.archive.org/%7Etracey> --*