Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi> on 2004/03/08 11:06:31 UTC

svn log fails (invalid xml) when piped to less

Hi!

I found following:

$ svn info

svn log 2> /tmp/svn.err|less
$ cat /tmp/svn.err
svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/kym/!svn/bc/882/trunk'
svn: The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML
parse error at line 971: Bytes: 0xEF 0x00 0x00 0x00
. (/svn/kym/!svn/bc/882/trunk)

However,

$ svn log 2> /tmp/svn.err
finished just fine.

Every time last thing what less will show is log for r772, I have
checked around that revision, and all of 770-774 show up ok with svn
log -rXXXX. This is prebuild svn, and neon-debug-mask does produce
nothing. I will try repoduce that later on my own machine.

This is:
svn --version
svn, version 1.0.0
   compiled Feb 27 2004, 18:02:47
(Installed from deb-packet)

The repository has been converted from cvs to svn by cvs2svn, and it
contains a lot of ÖÄöä chars, which show up uncorrectly whith svn
log, but that is another story. I will try dig this more during next
week, now I have to go to sleep.

BR, Jani

--
Jani Averbach

Re: svn log fails (invalid xml) when piped to less

Posted by Jani Averbach <ja...@jaa.iki.fi>.
On 2004-03-09 00:05+0000, Julian Foad wrote:

> What can be the difference between those two invocations?  The pipe to
> "less" can get broken if you quit from "less", but that normally gives a
> different error so I assume you are scrolling to the end of the
> file.

yep.

> If you pipe the output to a program like "tail" that reads all of
> the input but doesn't interact with the user, does the same happen?

No, nothing with tail, head, grep or sed. I used less following way:
"read" the first page, and after that start scrolling down with
space, until I reach revision 772 when this error happens.

And if I checkout the repository out of via https:// the problem will
vanish. Also if I try that in my home machine, I could not reproduce
it. (The machine where this happens is Debian/woody, subversion has
been installed from here:
http://people.debian.org/~cjwatson/subversion-woody/)

Also, if I convert that cvs repository with correct encoding,
converted svn-repo will behave ok.

svn produced this error message:

svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/test/!svn/bc/883/trunk'
svn: The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML
parse error at line 971: Bytes: 0xEF 0x00 0x00 0x00

Here is ethereal trace (part) of troublesome connection:
    107 REPORT /svn/test/!svn/bc/883/trunk HTTP/1.1
    108 Host: localhost:8080
    109 User-Agent: SVN/1.0.0 neon/0.24.4
    110 Connection: TE
    111 TE: trailers
    112 Content-Length: 135
    113 Content-Type: text/xml
    114 Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    115
    116 <S:log-report xmlns:S="svn:"><S:start-revision>883</S:start-revision><S:end-revision>1</S:end-revision><S:path></S:path></S:log-report>HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    117 Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:48:28 GMT
    118 Server: Apache/2.0.48 (Debian GNU/Linux) DAV/2 SVN/1.0.0 mod_ssl/2.0.48 OpenSSL/0.9.6c
    119 Transfer-Encoding: chunked
    120 Content-Type: text/xml; charset="utf-8"
    121
    122 1f43
    123 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    124 <S:log-report xmlns:S="svn:" xmlns:D="DAV:">
    125 <S:log-item>
(Log output will stop before r771, r772 is last one that I could see)
   1071 <S:log-item>
   1072 <D:version-name>771</D:version-name>
   1084   4. Ilmoittautumisj�rjestys. L�ht�aikojen ja joukkuenumeroiden jakamisen
   1085      j�lkeen ilmoittautuneet l�htev�t mahd. peruutuspaikoilla tai
   1086      viimeisen�.
   1087  -https://... <clear ascii data follows>

Line 1086 is '76 69 69 6d 65 69 73 65 6e ef bf bd 2e 0a'.

> It may be another story, but it may be related to this problem.  Are the
> non-ASCII characters in log messages, in file names, or in file contents?

Both, in log messages and in file contents.

> As usual, if you could make a small reproduction recipe, that would be
> great.

I can't reproduce that myself elsewhere than in that particular
machine. =( So it seems that there is something wrong with interaction
between pipes, less and subversion in that machine. Any ideas where to
look or is this worth of digging more?

Thanks,
Jani

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Jani Averbach wrote:

> svn log 2> /tmp/svn.err|less
> $ cat /tmp/svn.err
> svn: REPORT request failed on '/svn/kym/!svn/bc/882/trunk'
> svn: The REPORT request returned invalid XML in the response: XML
> parse error at line 971: Bytes: 0xEF 0x00 0x00 0x00
> . (/svn/kym/!svn/bc/882/trunk)
>
> However,
>
> $ svn log 2> /tmp/svn.err
> finished just fine.

What can be the difference between those two invocations?  The pipe to "less" can get broken if you quit from "less", but that normally gives a different error so I assume you are scrolling to the end of the file.  If you pipe the output to a program like "tail" that reads all of the input but doesn't interact with the user, does the same happen?  If not, how about "head" which will read a bit and then break the pipe?  One of those would be better than "less" in a reproduction recipe.

Another possible difference between stdout to a pipe and stdout to the console is, on Windows at least, they can be using different character encodings.  Are you running on Windows?

> The repository has been converted from cvs to svn by cvs2svn, and it
> contains a lot of ÖÄöä chars, which show up uncorrectly whith svn
> log, but that is another story.

It may be another story, but it may be related to this problem.  Are the non-ASCII characters in log messages, in file names, or in file contents?

> I will try dig this more during next
> week, now I have to go to sleep.

As usual, if you could make a small reproduction recipe, that would be great.  Also, it might be helpful to capture a trace of the comms protocol.

- Julian