Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Amn <am...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/12 21:59:47 UTC

*** Payara, GlassFish or Tomcat ***

Nu-B here.

Reading about Payara, GlassFish and Tomcat, I feel confused as to which
would be the best server to learn about when learning Jakarta EE.
Any suggestions?

--
*Using Fire Fox and Thunderbird.*
Developing for Android using Java, C/C++, HTM/CSS and SQLite as our

Re: *** Payara, GlassFish or Tomcat ***

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Amn,

On 7/12/22 17:59, Amn wrote:
> Nu-B here.
>
> Reading about Payara, GlassFish and Tomcat, I feel confused as to which
> would be the best server to learn about when learning Jakarta EE.

I would use whichever you can download, install, and launch with the
least hassle. For Tomcat, that's just:

$ wget url-for-tomcat-distro.tar.gz
$ tar xzf apache-tomcat-version.tar.gz
$ cd apache-tomcat-version
$ bin/startup.sh

You may need to adapt that to your own environment, slightly.

-chris

Re: *** Payara, GlassFish or Tomcat ***

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Zdenek,

On 7/21/22 04:39, Zdeněk Henek wrote:
> Amn,
>
> Our application is tested with Weblogic and Tomcat. I was asked to port our
> application to any free application server or web container. I picked
> Tomcat 5.5, now we are on Tomcat 9. I have to say maintaining our app and
> its installer for Tomcat is very easy. Very good backward compatibility and
> for development all of us in our development team use Tomcat.
>
> There is one point where you may need to consider using Tomcat or something
> else. Tomcat implements a subset of Jakarta EE / Java EE standards. Best
> overview I know about is here https://tomcat.apache.org/whichversion.html

This one is pretty good because it shows all the stuff Tomcat doesn't have:
https://tomee.apache.org/comparison.html#_synthesis_of_differences_between_flavors

> Some other Jakarta EE / Java EE spec implementations could be added to
> Tomcat without problems. Another option is using the full Jakartra EE
> application server as GlassFish. These may be more complex to configure or
> use in development, but I don't have any experience with Payara or
> GlassFish to compare. Weblogic is a bit harder to use for development when
> I compare it with Tomcat.

Don't forget about TomEE, which uses Tomcat as its underlying servlet,
etc. container and layers other EE tech on top of it. It comes in a few
flavors so you don't need 500 libraries deployed into a server that only
needs 4-5 of them.

-chris

Posted by Zdeněk Henek <vr...@gmail.com>.
Amn,

[...]