Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com> on 2018/09/19 07:02:05 UTC

***UNCHECKED*** Apache CloudStack Generic Key-Value and Communication Plug-in

Hello, community.

We glad to announce a new Open Source plug-in for Apache CloudStack which
helps to maintain generic key-value storages. There are three types are
supported right now:

- temporary KV with TTL (many per account);
- persistent KV bound to VM (one per VM);
- persistent KV bound to account (many per account).

KV storages support a commit-log based approach where old values are not
erased with new ones and it provides the access to the last key/values and
to the history which helps to maintain things like quorums and other
operations which require serialized access.

The plugin uses Elasticsearch. I

If you are interested to know more, contact our website for the full
announcement and download details:
https://bitworks.software/en/2018-09-19-acs-vm-kv-storage-plugin.html

All questions, improvements and considerations are welcome!

--
With best regards, Ivan Kudryavtsev
Bitworks LLC

Re: Apache CloudStack Generic Key-Value and Communication Plug-in

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.
Interesting. Have you thought about packaging everything together? I mean,
incorporating the whole plugin in ACS. Then, ACS manage the ES via one new
system VM type (OSVM – Object store system virtual machine), and another
system VM could be used to run the standalone service, which could execute
not just the authorization, but also the actual delivery.  This would then,
offload the delivery of data out of the MS, and would make it feasible to
deliver long binary data without much problem. Then, the MS would only have
APIs to register and delete data. The registration would then return an URL
that the user could use to do the actual upload of the key/value to the ES
via the standalone server or directly to the OSVM.

I do like the plugin you designed, but I would like to see more of these
services to get upstream and to work out of the box. Cloud nowadays is made
of so much more services than just IaaS, and we should try to create a more
comprehensive solution.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Apache CloudStack Generic Key-Value and Communication Plug-in

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

--
Rafael Weingärtner

Re: Apache CloudStack Generic Key-Value and Communication Plug-in

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hello, Daan, Rafael.

Posted by Ivan Kudryavtsev <ku...@bw-sw.com>.
Hello, Daan, Rafael.

Posted by Rafael Weingärtner <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
sounds nice Ivan, Do you have a whitepaper on it? I strugle to see a clear
usecase for this plugin. maybe you have a casus or two!?!

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.