Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Terra Info <in...@terranovum.com> on 2003/01/02 15:18:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Question on mod_cgi

I am debugging a particularly nasty issue right now on a perl script
that when written 2+ yrs ago worked fine. Within the last few months it
has begun to cause problems. Without getting into the details (yet) a
piece of information that I could use to assist in tracking down the
issue is:
Does mod_cgi pass output from the cgi executed to apache to output as it
comes or does it wait until the script is executed and then pass out all
info to apache which in turn waits for complete output before sending
out the response?
I seem to remember it being the former but maybe things have changed and
if so what version did these things change?
Thanks,
Tom

Terra Novum Research
info@terranovum.com
www.terranovum.com
(617) 923-4132

PO Box 362
Watertown, MA 02471-0362

"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land,
it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy."
	-- James Madison, as a United States Congressman

Re: [users@httpd] Question on mod_cgi

Posted by Terra Info <in...@terranovum.com>.
Ahh... It has changed then from 1.2 days.OK, one other question for the
list. Given the following background, is there anything mod_cgi does in
executing perl scripts that it would not neccesarily do for shell
scripts, binary executables et al;.

I am at my wits end with a bug and am trying to elminate things as
causes that normally I would not even think were probable. So you have a
better handle on why I am asking, I have a script that runs fine from
the cmd line under all parameter combinations, runs fine in most
situations under CGI but when a few param combinations occur it fails to
execute to completion. The odd thing is the place it hangs up is the
line before exit;. I added a warn('foo at line nnn') after every line
and it warns all they way to the line for exit; but never exists and
apache tells me that the script times out.  That combined with the fact
that the script, when executed on the command line, under a faked up ENV
that matches exactly what it gets from httpd runs flawlessly and to
completion everytime, seems to suggest something is happening in the
in-process handling of the CGI script. Does that problem lie in mod_cgi,
perl or in some funky interaction between components? I don't know yet.
Thanks,
Tom

Joshua Slive wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Terra Info wrote:
>

>>I am debugging a particularly nasty issue right now on a perl script
>>that when written 2+ yrs ago worked fine. Within the last few months it
>>has begun to cause problems. Without getting into the details (yet) a
>>piece of information that I could use to assist in tracking down the
>>issue is:
>>Does mod_cgi pass output from the cgi executed to apache to output as it
>>comes or does it wait until the script is executed and then pass out all
>>info to apache which in turn waits for complete output before sending
>>out the response?
>>I seem to remember it being the former but maybe things have changed and
>>if so what version did these things change?
>>

>Most recent versions of apache dump cgi output onto the network pretty
>much as soon as the cgi script output it.
>
>Joshua.

Terra Novum Research
info@terranovum.com
www.terranovum.com
(617) 923-4132

PO Box 362
Watertown, MA 02471-0362

In time-keeping, in trading, in fighting, men counted numbers;
and finally, as the habit grew, only numbers counted.
       Lewis Mumford

Re: [users@httpd] Question on mod_cgi

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.