Posted to dev@asterixdb.apache.org by Stephen Ermshar <St...@wallawalla.edu> on 2019/04/01 05:01:00 UTC

Re: Google Summer of Code 2019

Hi Till and AsterixDB Devs,

I’m a junior CS major at Walla Walla University this year and have been working with Preston Carman over the last quarter migrating some of his code into the master branch. We’ve been talking about applying to Google Summer of Code this year to create a sort merge join built on the parallel sort. Preston was telling me that such a contribution would create a sorted dataset across many partitions, include a merge-join operator and add changes to the compiler to build the query plan, with a stretch goal of picking split points dynamically.

Does this seem like a good project for Google summer of Code? If not, are there other projects or suggestions that might be more fitting?

Thanks,

- Stephen Ermshar

Posted by Mike Carey <dt...@gmail.com>.
Stephen,

That sounds like a good project to me!  (The stretch goal may be tough,
for the summer, but could be a good follow-on independent study project
w/Preston - but worth aiming at!)

Cheers,

Mike