Posted to users@jena.apache.org by "Hoffart, Johannes" <Jo...@gs.com> on 2020/06/08 15:54:58 UTC

Resource requirements and configuration for loading a Wikidata dump

Hi,

I want to load the full Wikidata dump, available at https://dumps.wikimedia.org/wikidatawiki/entities/latest-all.ttl.bz2 to use in Jena.

I tried it using the tdb2.tdbloader with $JVM_ARGS set to -Xmx120G. Initially, the progress (measured by dataset size) is quick. It slows down very much after a couple of 100GB written, and finally, at around 500GB, the progress is almost halted.

Did anyone ingest Wikidata into Jena before? What are the system requirements? Is there a specific tdb2.tdbloader configuration that would speed things up? For example building an index after data ingest?

Thanks
Johannes

Johannes Hoffart, Executive Director, Technology Division
Goldman Sachs Bank Europe SE | Marienturm | Taunusanlage 9-10 | D-60329 Frankfurt am Main
Email: johannes.hoffart@gs.com<ma...@gs.com> | Tel: +49 (0)69 7532 3558
Vorstand: Dr. Wolfgang Fink (Vorsitzender) | Thomas Degn-Petersen | Dr. Matthias Bock
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Dermot McDonogh
Sitz: Frankfurt am Main | Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main HRB 114190

________________________________

Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<http://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>

Re: Resource requirements and configuration for loading a Wikidata dump

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
Wolfgang, here is another link (I did not find in your link list yet) this
time to setup wikidata with blazegraph in the Google Cloud (GCE)

https://addshore.com/2019/10/your-own-wikidata-query-service-with-no-limits-part-1/

--

---
Marco Neumann

Re: Resource requirements and configuration for loading a Wikidata dump

Posted by Wolfgang Fahl <wf...@bitplan.com>.

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.
Exactly Andy, thank you for the additional context, and as a matter of fact
we already query / manipulate 150bn+ triples in a LOD cloud as distributed
sets every day.

But of course we frequently see practitioners in the community who look at
the Semantic Web and Jena specifically primarily as a database technology,
while not paying that much attention to the Web and RDF / SPARQL federation
aspects.

That said a lot of what we do here on the list with Jena is indeed geared
towards performance, optimization and features and hence I will continue to
collect sample data for the lotico benchmarks page. The dataset we have
used so far in the benchmarks process simply hits a sweet spot in terms of
hardware requirements and time it takes to run quick tests. And the tests
already gave me valuable hints at how to scale out clusters for other
non-public data sets. BTW if anyone has access to more powerful hardware
configurations I'd be more than happy to test larger datasets for
benchmarking purposes and would include the results in the page :-) . And
as mentioned by Martynas a page on the Jena project site might be a good
idea as well.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wolfgang Fahl <wf...@bitplan.com>.
Marco

Posted by Marco Neumann <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wolfgang Fahl <wf...@bitplan.com>.
Hi Johannes,

Posted by Ahmed El-Roby <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Johannes for starting this thread. I am facing the exact same
problem with tdb2. For any significantly large file for that matter, it
takes forever to load. I hope this problem has a solution.
Thank you.
-Ahmed

Posted by Martynas Jusevičius <ma...@atomgraph.com>.
Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a page in the Fuseki/TDB2
documentation with benchmark results and/or user-reported loading
statistics, including hardware specs?

It would also be useful to map such specs to the AWS instance types:
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/instance-types/

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Johannes,

Posted by "Hoffart, Johannes" <Jo...@gs.com>.
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the helpful pointers by you and others.

I will change the heap settings to see if this at least allows the process to finish. For reference, the machine has 128GB of main memory and a regular HDD attached.

I also changed the logging settings to see the progress (would be nice to have this enabled by default).

Thanks
Johannes

On 08/06/2020 16:54, Hoffart, Johannes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to load the full Wikidata dump, available at https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__dumps.wikimedia.org_wikidatawiki_entities_latest-2Dall.ttl.bz2&d=DwIC-g&c=7563p3e2zaQw0AB1wrFVgyagb2IE5rTZOYPxLxfZlX4&r=xf6--uwdcCl8ABKwQSkT2uFj8PgnlEqThex0udypM28&m=GvGO8rPB3XdHz-_iF_4fClXgvmdy_32YrUUTUvRRxQQ&s=x5WddEwbXWPtCCFiaZ2ytRIxJIRL_kIvxtOIkOcsNzg&e=  to use in Jena.
>
> I tried it using the tdb2.tdbloader with $JVM_ARGS set to -Xmx120G. Initially, the progress (measured by dataset size) is quick. It slows down very much after a couple of 100GB written, and finally, at around 500GB, the progress is almost halted.

Setting the heap size larger actually slows the process down. The database indexes are cached outside the heap in the main OS filesystem case so a cache size of 120G is taking space away from that space.
A heap size of ~8G should be more than enough.

The other factor is the storage. A large SSD, and best of an M.2 connected local SSD, is significantly faster.

It can be worthwhile to build the database on a machine spec'ed for loading and move it elsewhere for query use. The database, once built, can be file-copied.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
Hi Johannes,