Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com> on 2015/06/01 01:16:00 UTC

[FlaconJX FlexJS] FlexJS output to js from core as files

As I worked through this weekend utilizing the rainy days and kids
finishing up for finals, I realized what my first step should be with the
whole DOM thing.

That is.. Helping figure out how to take the burden off Alex and Peter on
the js double work they have been doing.

So I am looking at Core and see the js/src and Application.js and then
Application.as. I realize that all you want to do is be able to code in as
but you still need to work the logic out for .js in as.

This is my first task I guess in my tests. I will start writing the .as of
the core files, porting your work to actionscript and testing the output
using the current JSFlexJSEmitter.

I will consider this POC a success when I have the whole Core project
js/src source cross compiled and can swap it with your existing source.

So I will use the Randori built in SWC and HTML SWC for now just to get
going and see where there are trouble spots.

I think once this gets going, it will have already proven what Josh needs
to know for transpiling vanilla and I will also along the way add configs
for things that don't need to be rendered for vanilla DOM projects.

Mike

Re: [FlaconJX FlexJS] FlexJS output to js from core as files

Posted by OmPrakash Muppirala <bi...@gmail.com>.
Sounds like a great plan!  Getting rid of the need to write JavaScript
would be a big deal.

Thanks,
Om

Posted by Michael Schmalle <te...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 12:48 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:

> On 5/31/15, 4:16 PM, "Michael Schmalle" <te...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >As I worked through this weekend utilizing the rainy days and kids
> >finishing up for finals, I realized what my first step should be with the
> >whole DOM thing.
> >
> >That is.. Helping figure out how to take the burden off Alex and Peter on
> >the js double work they have been doing.
> >
> >So I am looking at Core and see the js/src and Application.js and then
> >Application.as. I realize that all you want to do is be able to code in as
> >but you still need to work the logic out for .js in as.
>
> Right, it won’t eliminate the double work, but it should make for much
> less work in creating the JS, maybe just because I don’t have to type
> “prototype” and “this” as often.
>
> Geez, Mike, you’re making me wish it rains all the time at your house ;-).
>
> Thanks for making such excellent progress.

Alex, if you think about it, when this stuff translates 100%, it's not
double work. It then becomes no different then writing a JS UI component
framework like all the other ones out there, they have to write the
javascript, but in javascript. You write your UI stuff in actionscript.

I wouldn't call it progress, just cleaning up my mess from two years ago. :)

I think you gain a whole lot more then not writing this and prototype with
this new functionality.

My goal is to try and get you and Peter's time back into making a nice
framework, I will worry about the lower level stuff.

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.