Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dimitris Pappas <dv...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/20 16:35:36 UTC

kafka producers and consumers on different machine

Dear sir/madame

My name is Dimitris Pappas and i am a research assistant in Athena R.C.
in athens.

I downloaded the standalone version of kafka and tried to create
consumers and producers on other machines.

The producers and consumers built, which were listening to 'localhost'
worked like a charm.

On the contrary, consumers and producers built on another machine,
trying to send data or consume data from the ip of the machine running
the kafka server and the zookeeper, did not perform as expected.
Is a there a simple guide to set up such a grid of machines?

the error that i get is the following on the kafka server:

[2016-04-20 17:34:10,244] ERROR [KafkaApi-0] error when handling request
null (kafka.server.KafkaApis)
kafka.admin.AdminOperationException: replication factor: 3 larger than
available brokers: 1
         at
kafka.admin.AdminUtils$.assignReplicasToBrokers(AdminUtils.scala:77)
         at kafka.admin.AdminUtils$.createTopic(AdminUtils.scala:236)
         at kafka.server.KafkaApis$$anonfun$20.apply(KafkaApis.scala:565)
         at kafka.server.KafkaApis$$anonfun$20.apply(KafkaApis.scala:555)
         at
scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:245)
         at
scala.collection.TraversableLike$$anonfun$map$1.apply(TraversableLike.scala:245)
         at scala.collection.immutable.Set$Set1.foreach(Set.scala:79)
         at
scala.collection.TraversableLike$class.map(TraversableLike.scala:245)
         at
scala.collection.AbstractSet.scala$collection$SetLike$$super$map(Set.scala:47)
         at scala.collection.SetLike$class.map(SetLike.scala:92)
         at scala.collection.AbstractSet.map(Set.scala:47)
         at kafka.server.KafkaApis.getTopicMetadata(KafkaApis.scala:555)
         at
kafka.server.KafkaApis.handleGroupCoordinatorRequest(KafkaApis.scala:702)
         at kafka.server.KafkaApis.handle(KafkaApis.scala:78)
         at
kafka.server.KafkaRequestHandler.run(KafkaRequestHandler.scala:60)
         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

I would be grateful if you could help me with the forth-mentioned problem.

Thank you in advance
Dimitris Pappas

---
Αυτό το e-mail ελέγχθηκε για ιούς από το πρόγραμμα Avast antivirus.

Re: kafka producers and consumers on different machine

Posted by Marko Bonaći <ma...@sematext.com>.
I'm assuming that you created a topic with replication factor 3, while
having only a single broker.
Try with replication factor 1 or add additional brokers.

Marko Bonaći
Monitoring | Alerting | Anomaly Detection | Centralized Log Management
Solr & Elasticsearch Support
Sematext <http://sematext.com/> | Contact
<http://sematext.com/about/contact.html>