Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Vincent SEPM MIS <Vi...@sepm.seisea.com.sg> on 2003/08/05 10:00:28 UTC

Need help : how to shutdown & restart Tomcat, how to reload servlet

Dear Tomcat user,
I have two problem here, hope anyone who know can help to teach me.

Problem 1:
How to shutdown and restart tomcat server?

I try to shutdown and restart Tomcat using shutdown and startup batch file.
I notice some error prompt out when I running shutdown.bat and startup.bat in command prompt.

The message I capture during run shutdown.bat in command prompt in Windows XP is as below

: Using Catalina_Base: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
  Using Catalina_Home: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
  Using Catalina_Tmpdir: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
  Using Java_Home: C:\J2sdk1.4.0
  Catalina.stop: Java.net.ConnectException:Connection refused:connect
java.net.ConnectException:Connection
  refuse: connect at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connecToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
  at java.net.Socket.(init)(Socket.java:290)
  at java.net.Socket.(init)(Socket.java:110)
  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:579)
  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccesorImpl.java:39)

Remark : Currently I m using Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14

Problem 2:
How to reload the servlet program after modified?
Description :
Everytime I change the servlet program I need to restart my pc.
Anyone know how to reload my servlet program without restart the pc.

Thanks in advance

Vincent.

Re: Need help : how to shutdown & restart Tomcat, how to reload servlet

Posted by Aurele Venet <Au...@esa.int>.
Hello Vincent,

fro problem 1:
you are using the correct procedure, but it looks like your server was
never started in the first place.  The connection refused is due to the
fact that it tries to connect to a port (for shutdown procedure) which
is not open.  Alternatively, tomcat can some time get stuck and I notice
that I cannot shut it but it is still running.  In this case you need to
kill the java process associated with the tomcat server.

Normal procdure of start and stop should work fine.  Look at the end of
the catalina.out file to see normal starting and shutting down procedure
logging.

for problem 2:

I have recently installed tomcat 4.1.24 which has a good manager
interface that allows to start/stop/remove/deploy applications without
shutting down the server.  A remove/(re)deploy process running from an
ants script takes me 4 secs to execute (I am on solaris sunblade ws).

Vincent SEPM MIS wrote:

>Dear Tomcat user,
>I have two problem here, hope anyone who know can help to teach me.
>
>Problem 1:
>How to shutdown and restart tomcat server?

>I try to shutdown and restart Tomcat using shutdown and startup batch file.
>I notice some error prompt out when I running shutdown.bat and startup.bat in command prompt.
>
>The message I capture during run shutdown.bat in command prompt in Windows XP is as below
>
>: Using Catalina_Base: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
>  Using Catalina_Home: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
>  Using Catalina_Tmpdir: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
>  Using Java_Home: C:\J2sdk1.4.0
>  Catalina.stop: Java.net.ConnectException:Connection refused:connect
>java.net.ConnectException:Connection
>  refuse: connect at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
>  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connecToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
>  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
>  at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:425)
>  at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:375)
>  at java.net.Socket.(init)(Socket.java:290)
>  at java.net.Socket.(init)(Socket.java:110)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:579)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccesorImpl.java:39)
>  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>

>Remark : Currently I m using Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14
>
>Problem 2:
>How to reload the servlet program after modified?
>Description :
>Everytime I change the servlet program I need to restart my pc.
>Anyone know how to reload my servlet program without restart the pc.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Vincent.

 . . . . . . . . .
tel:+34.918.131.331

Re: Need help : how to shutdown & restart Tomcat, how to reload servlet

Posted by Aurele Venet <Au...@esa.int>.
Hello Vincent,

Vincent SEPM MIS wrote:

>Dear Tomcat user,
>I have two problem here, hope anyone who know can help to teach me.
>
>Problem 1:
>How to shutdown and restart tomcat server?

>I try to shutdown and restart Tomcat using shutdown and startup batch file.
>I notice some error prompt out when I running shutdown.bat and startup.bat in command prompt.
>
>The message I capture during run shutdown.bat in command prompt in Windows XP is as below
>
>: Using Catalina_Base: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
>  Using Catalina_Home: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1
>  Using Catalina_Tmpdir: C:\Program Files\Apache Group\Tomcat 4.1\temp
>  Using Java_Home: C:\J2sdk1.4.0
>  Catalina.stop: Java.net.ConnectException:Connection refused:connect
>java.net.ConnectException:Connection
>  refuse: connect at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
>  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
>  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connecToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
>  at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
>  at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:425)
>  at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:375)
>  at java.net.Socket.(init)(Socket.java:290)
>  at java.net.Socket.(init)(Socket.java:110)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:579)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Catalina.java:402)
>  at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Catalina.java:180)
>  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
>  at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccesorImpl.java:39)
>  at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>

>Remark : Currently I m using Apache Tomcat/4.1.12-LE-jdk14
>
>Problem 2:
>How to reload the servlet program after modified?
>Description :
>Everytime I change the servlet program I need to restart my pc.
>Anyone know how to reload my servlet program without restart the pc.
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Vincent.

tel:+34.918.131.331