Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> on 2014/04/25 19:55:03 UTC

What should it mean to +1 a release

Had some discussions about this at ApacheCon, and I think it would be
good to formalize this in a release-process doc within coho/docs.

The best Apache docs for it is:
https://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html

When we (or at least, members of the PMC), vote on a release, we
(should) be saying that we are confident that:
1 - Our sources are properly licenses (aka, RAT or coho audit-license-headers)
2 - We have only compatibly licensed dependencies (and appropriate NOTICE lines)
3 - Code is made up of commits by individuals that have signed the
ICLA (or that are trivial commits)
4 - Archives are properly signed & hashed
5 - Contents of archives match sha1 of what's in the repo

Note that this list doesn't include anything about the *quality* of
the code. This subject was more grey, and is more up to each project
to figure out.
- Some projects go as far as reviewing every commit that has occurred
since the previous commit

For us, I think it depends on the tools / plugin / platform, but in
general we try to keep master release-worthy at all times, and so
don't need to do much other than ensure the continuous build is green.

Most of 1-5 can be automated, so I think that's worth doing (e.g. run
coho audit-license-headers as a part of the continuous build, e.g. add
a test that x-refs commit authors with the ICLA page, make "coho
verify-archive" also check archive contents)

So, thoughts on all of this?

I can sign up to convert it into a markdown doc within coho, but would
love assistance with the rest.

Re: What should it mean to +1 a release

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
This would get us into a pretty sweet world.

One question: Between [DISCUSS] and [RELEASE] how do we make sure nothing
slips in?  Should DISCUSS include branching/tagging?  Pointing at a CI
result?  Trust nothing changes?

-Michal

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
:+1:

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
+1 to this also.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
+1 to this!

Posted by Ian Clelland <ic...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Should have mentioned - I did do that :). I added a link to it in the vote
email template.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.
Andrew,

--
Carlos Santana
<cs...@gmail.com>

Re: What should it mean to +1 a release

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Only if you run the command.

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
Drafted this up here:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/release-voting.md

Posted by James Jong <wj...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM, Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, there's a reason we do cadence.  Of course, Apache seems to
> despise cadence and the release early, release often thing.

There is no Apache policy stopping Cordova from scheduling release votes on a
fixed cadence.  CouchDB does it now -- here's Dave Cottlehuber singing its
praises:

    http://s.apache.org/aV7

    I agree; in the CouchDB community we had a similar experience. Addressing
    it has been positive both for our brand and for our community. It's also
    been a triumph of Apache values of community over code, demonstrating that
    the incubator process, as well as addressing legal concerns via due
    diligence, is also capable of sustaining communities who can survive the
    acrimonious departure of the founder. Moving to a time-driven release has
    helped us enormously.

Marvin Humphrey

Re: What should it mean to +1 a release

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Had some discussions about this at ApacheCon, and I think it would be
> good to formalize this in a release-process doc within coho/docs.
>
> The best Apache docs for it is:
> https://www.apache.org/dev/release-publishing.html
>
> When we (or at least, members of the PMC), vote on a release, we
> (should) be saying that we are confident that:
> 1 - Our sources are properly licenses (aka, RAT or coho audit-license-headers)

coho does that

> 2 - We have only compatibly licensed dependencies (and appropriate NOTICE lines)

This is what a platform maintainer should watch out for.  It's fixed
on Android now.

> 3 - Code is made up of commits by individuals that have signed the
> ICLA (or that are trivial commits)

This we do well at.

> 4 - Archives are properly signed & hashed
> 5 - Contents of archives match sha1 of what's in the repo

This works fine as well.

> Note that this list doesn't include anything about the *quality* of
> the code. This subject was more grey, and is more up to each project
> to figure out.
> - Some projects go as far as reviewing every commit that has occurred
> since the previous commit

Well, there's a reason we do cadence.  Of course, Apache seems to
despise cadence and the release early, release often thing.  That
being said, we really just do a quick, broad review instead of an
in-depth review.

> For us, I think it depends on the tools / plugin / platform, but in
> general we try to keep master release-worthy at all times, and so
> don't need to do much other than ensure the continuous build is green.

So, yeah, personal branches are awesome for this.  Every new feature
should live in a personal branch until they get merged in.

That's basically my thoughts on this so far.

Re: What should it mean to +1 a release

Posted by Marcel Kinard <cm...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 25, 2014, at 1:55 PM, Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org> wrote:

> Had some discussions about this at ApacheCon, and I think it would be
> good to formalize this in a release-process doc within coho/docs.

Totally agree. I think there is some variation currently in what we understand it means to "+1 a release". An explicit definition would get us all on the same page.

> Note that this list doesn't include anything about the *quality* of
> the code. This subject was more grey, and is more up to each project
> to figure out.
> - Some projects go as far as reviewing every commit that has occurred
> since the previous commit
>
> For us, I think it depends on the tools / plugin / platform, but in
> general we try to keep master release-worthy at all times, and so
> don't need to do much other than ensure the continuous build is green.

Keeping master consistently release-ready fits both what I heard from the board at ApacheCon, and how we traditionally do things.

> Most of 1-5 can be automated, so I think that's worth doing (e.g. run
> coho audit-license-headers as a part of the continuous build, e.g. add
> a test that x-refs commit authors with the ICLA page, make "coho
> verify-archive" also check archive contents)

Yeah, automate everything that is reasonably possible.