Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Marcus Crafter <cr...@managesoft.com> on 2003/05/28 17:37:44 UTC

Resuming downloads ?

Hi All,

Hope all is going well.

I've searched the archives for an answer to this question, but so far no
luck - it's definitely a simple one! :)

Has anyone written any code around HttpClient to allow resuming of
downloads that have been interrupted due to some reason ?

I'd like to be able to use HttpClient in our application but require this
functionality and aren't sure if this is implemented inside HttpClient (as
part of some spec?) or if it should be implemented outside of HttpClient
at the application level using partial retrievals, etc.

Any ideas, code, suggestions, etc, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
       '     /( &&&
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&:

Re: Resuming downloads ?

Posted by Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>.
There is not any explicit functionality in HttpClient for handling
resumes but it should work.  I believe download resuming is just part of
the standard 1.1 spec.  You should only have to add a few headers to the
GetMethod before executing it.  Take a look at:

http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.3
and
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.35

Mike