Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Jason M. Kuhlman" <jk...@oglecounty.org> on 2003/01/30 15:36:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Rotating log files on Win2K again

Hello
I added the following string to my httpd.conf file

TransferLog "|rotatelogs c:/ServerLogs/Apache/access_log 86400"

But it isn't rolling the logs over, what's wrong?

Please forgive me if, I'm new to apache

Thanks

Jason M. Kuhlman

Re: [users@httpd] Rotating log files on Win2K again

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> TransferLog "|rotatelogs c:/ServerLogs/Apache/access_log 86400"
>
> But it isn't rolling the logs over, what's wrong?
>
> Please forgive me if, I'm new to apache

Unless rotatelogs is in your exec path, you need to have the full path to
rotatelogs, like: c:/Apache2/bin/rotatelogs.exe or wherever it is.  I'm not
sure how apache handles spaces in the path.

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] Rotating log files on Win2K again

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Not you (although I *think* you meant bin/rotatelogs.exe) but we've
discovered that Access logs can't use piped transfer in Apache 2.0.44
(but Error logs may.)

The difference comes from the other_child logic, which (is intended to)
make the transfer process more durable and recover from a logging
process that 'evaporates'.

Anyway, .45 should fix it if I can find the last few details on what the
design was supposed to accomplish.

Bill