Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Michael Beccaria <mb...@paulsmiths.edu> on 2007/03/29 20:23:13 UTC

Index Files

Simple curious question from a newbie:

Can I have another computer index my data, then copy the index folder
files into my live system and run a commit?

The project idea I have is for a library catalog which will update
holdings information (whether a book is checked out) for an item record
(also a solr\lucene record). My collection is small enough that it can
index the entire library collection in about 20 minutes. If I have
another computer continually indexing, then copy those files to my live
system and commit, will that successfully update the index?

Mike

--------------------
Mike Beccaria
Systems Librarian
Head of Digital Initiatives
Paul Smith's College
518.327.6376
beccarm@paulsmiths.edu

Re: Index Files

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 3/29/07, Michael Beccaria <mb...@paulsmiths.edu> wrote:
> Simple curious question from a newbie:
>
> Can I have another computer index my data, then copy the index folder
> files into my live system and run a commit?
>
> The project idea I have is for a library catalog which will update
> holdings information (whether a book is checked out) for an item record
> (also a solr\lucene record). My collection is small enough that it can
> index the entire library collection in about 20 minutes. If I have
> another computer continually indexing, then copy those files to my live
> system and commit, will that successfully update the index?

Yes, this is essentially what Solr's distribution scripts do in an
automated way.

-Yonik