Posted to dev@community.apache.org by William Li <wi...@gmail.com> on 2017/04/18 21:34:18 UTC

Contribute as a company

Hi - I'm new and my company is interested to have developers to contribute to a couple of apache open source projects. Could any one please tell me how to register contributors under a specific company name?

I searched through the general information blogs but couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

William

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Raphael Bircher <rb...@gmail.com>.
Hi William

Apache don't have a special way to contribute from a Company. We look at
all contributors as an individual. Your employee just follow up like every
other individual. Whoever, there are some contracts. ICLA and probably
also CCLA. On https://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas you can find them.

If you have already existing Code (say you extended an existing Apache
Project but didn't contribute back) you may need a SGA (Grant) to hand
over the code properly.

The way the contribution happened varies from project to project. But if
your employees jump into the dev mailing list from the project, they will
be guided to the right place.

If you have more questions, just ask. I wish you a good start at Apache
and welcome on the Apache village (for a family we are a bit to big)

Regards, Raphael

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 11:34 PM, William Li
<wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ...Could any one please tell me how to register contributors under a specific company name?...

You don't - contributors to Apache projects *must* act as themselves,
as opposed to representing their company.

It's great to have companies which allow their employees to work on
Apache projects, but that doesn't give those companies any special
status in the ASF.

-Bertrand

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Ishan Chattopadhyaya <ic...@gmail.com>.
I don't know exactly what the policy is, but here is my understanding.
Contributions come from individual user accounts on JIRA. Individuals are
affiliated with companies.

One way, I can think of, to have contributions from a company could be to
use Github Pull Requests from the company's forked repo, but the
participation in discussion to happen through individual contributors'
accounts.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by William Li <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex - not much of question or answer. It was just simply a curiosity that how other people could pull a statistics like what it's in the URL. I thought there is an official way but since you mentioned that could be done through logs - it makes sense.

thanks!

William.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM, William Li <wi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If there are ways to check contributions by companies, it could be a
> win-win for both the individuals and the companies who are sponsoring.

It could be a win if Apache were interested in being a pay-for-play sort of
foundation.

We aren't. We are a charity intended to contribute to the public good. We
can't legally be a charity if companies can just hire us to do what they
want. We don't want to be that in any case.

It *is* harder to get sponsorship if you can't explain that there is a $
for result connection. But sponsorship isn't the goal.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by William Li <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by William Li <wi...@gmail.com>.

Re: Contribute as a company

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@stsp.name>.
On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 09:34:18PM -0000, William Li wrote:
> Hi - I'm new and my company is interested to have developers to contribute to a couple of apache open source projects. Could any one please tell me how to register contributors under a specific company name?
>
> I searched through the general information blogs but couldn't find anything.
>

> Thanks,
>
> William

Hi William,

As others have already noted, open source communities don't usually
have formal relationships with companies. From a project's point of
view, individual contributors spend time on the project for any number
of reasons. One of those reasons could be that time is spent under
a contract of employment and hence affiliation with an employer.
But the reason why somebody has time to contribute to the project
is not actually relevant to the development process.

I recommend reading http://producingoss.com/en/money.html which
should provide some insight into the economics of open source.

Regards,
Stefan