Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Kaluva S <sk...@gmail.com> on 2022/10/18 14:53:48 UTC

HttpClient migration from 3.x to 5.x - Need info on support plan

We are planning to migrate our old legacy code which uses
*commons-httpclient-3.x* to *httpclient5.x* . But found that its going to
be complete rewrite as lot of classes/packages removed.

Tried migrating to *httpclient4.x* , seems to be having lesser changes
compared to *5.x* migration.

But want to know the support plan for 4.x and 5.x from apache/community. As
per maven repo, last release on 4.x was on *Oct - 2020* where as 5.x was *Jan
- 2022*

Can i expect fixes/code changes in 4.x for the next 4/5 years atleast if i
use it instead of 5.x?

Please share if anyone has idea on this.

Re: HttpClient migration from 3.x to 5.x - Need info on support plan

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
The sooner the better for a 4.x cut off IMO. There is a lot of complex code
in total for versions 3, 4, 5, and very limited human resources.

Gary

Posted by Michael Osipov <mi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kaluva S <sk...@gmail.com>.
Thank you so much for the clarification Oleg. I got the info I need.

So I can safely migrate to 4.x without much hassle.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.