Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by aladdin <al...@csunv.com> on 2006/06/04 19:25:18 UTC

[users@httpd] SSL (Evidently) Not Starting

1.  I have this configuration in included in my conf file:

NameVirtualHost *:80
<VirtualHost *:80>
 <snip />
 </VirtualHost>

NameVirtualHost *:443
<VirtualHost *:443>
 ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

 DocumentRoot /var/www
 <Directory />
  Options FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride None
 </Directory>
 <Directory /var/www/>
  AllowOverride None
  Order allow,deny
  allow from all
 </Directory>

 ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/csunv443.log

 # alert, emerg.
 LogLevel debug

 CustomLog /var/log/apache2/csunv443-access.log combined
 ServerSignature On

 Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
 <Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
     Options Indexes MultiViews
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
 </Directory>

        SSLEngine on
        SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/csunv.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/csunv.key
</VirtualHost>
2.  This is the error I get from the browser when I attempt
to go from a home page to a secure (https) page:
Connection to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx unexpectedly terminated. Some
data may have been transferred.
3.  This is the error that shows up in my log file:
[Sun Jun 04 13:10:06 2006] [error] [client 192.168.1.20] Invalid method in request \x80g\x01\x03

I have read the archives, which seems to say that mod_ssl is not running.  However, as you can see from (1),
above, I have all the directives to start the SSL components (I think!).

I get no errors on startup, except for virtual host errors, evidently because I don't have names.
This server can be accessed either internally, via a 198.162 address, or through a proxy, which
has a valid public IP address, and all I'm trying to do with the virtual host directives is say
"I don't care what IP you come from, or what domain name you typed in, any requests to this
server on port 80 go to this virtual host and any request on port 443 go to this other virtual
host".

Could that possibly be what's screwing this up?  Any other insights?

TIA,
anw

Re: [users@httpd] SSL (Evidently) Not Starting

Posted by aladdin <al...@csunv.com>.
On Sunday 04 June 2006 13:25, aladdin wrote:
> 1.  I have this configuration in included in my conf file:

> NameVirtualHost *:80
> <VirtualHost *:80>
>  <snip />
>  </VirtualHost>
>
> NameVirtualHost *:443
> <VirtualHost *:443>
>  ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
>
>  DocumentRoot /var/www
>  <Directory />
>   Options FollowSymLinks
>   AllowOverride None
>  </Directory>
>  <Directory /var/www/>
>   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
>   AllowOverride None
>   Order allow,deny
>   allow from all
>  </Directory>
>
>  ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/csunv443.log
>
>  # Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
>  # alert, emerg.
>  LogLevel debug
>
>  CustomLog /var/log/apache2/csunv443-access.log combined
>  ServerSignature On
>
>  Alias /icons/ "/usr/share/apache2/icons/"
>  <Directory "/usr/share/apache2/icons">
>      Options Indexes MultiViews
>      AllowOverride None
>      Order allow,deny
>      Allow from all
>  </Directory>
>
>         SSLEngine on
>         SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/csunv.crt
>         SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/csunv.key
> </VirtualHost>
> 2.  This is the error I get from the browser when I attempt
> to go from a home page to a secure (https) page:
> Connection to host xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx unexpectedly terminated. Some
> data may have been transferred.
> 3.  This is the error that shows up in my log file:
> [Sun Jun 04 13:10:06 2006] [error] [client 192.168.1.20] Invalid method in request \x80g\x01\x03
>
> I have read the archives, which seems to say that mod_ssl is not running.  However, as you can see from (1),
> above, I have all the directives to start the SSL components (I think!).
>
> I get no errors on startup, except for virtual host errors, evidently because I don't have names.
> This server can be accessed either internally, via a 198.162 address, or through a proxy, which
> has a valid public IP address, and all I'm trying to do with the virtual host directives is say
> "I don't care what IP you come from, or what domain name you typed in, any requests to this
> server on port 80 go to this virtual host and any request on port 443 go to this other virtual
> host".
>
> Could that possibly be what's screwing this up?  Any other insights?
>
> TIA,
> anw

OK, I put in an explicit 192.168.*.* address in the NamedVirtualHost and VirtualHost
directives, and discovered that all along it was picking up my default site (after
making that change, I all of a sudden got the apache default home page, which
I had NOT commented out of the desired vhost section, but had commented out
of the default section, which should NEVER get executed).  So now I know that
I need an explicit IP address, so does that mean I have to have two sets of two
(or more) identical sections, one set for the ports, and then, for each port, identical
sets for every IP address?

Thanks,
anw