Posted to user@spark.apache.org by nimbus <ni...@radius.com> on 2014/07/10 02:25:03 UTC

Pyspark, references to different rdds being overwritten to point to the same rdd, different results when using .cache()

Discovered this in ipynb, and I haven't yet checked to see if it happens
elsewhere.

here's a simple example:

this produces the output:

Which is not what I wanted.

Alarmingly, if I call .cache() on these rdds, it changes the result and I
get what I wanted.

which produces:

It's very unexpected for .cache() to actually change the results here. Also
there is additional weirdness when doing more interesting things that
.cache() still doesn't fix, but I don't yet have a simple example.