Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Kawthar Bt M Sulaiman <mk...@maxis.com.my> on 2004/04/01 09:42:08 UTC

Re: Newbie: Log4j print to console, not to a file.

It's working now... thanks.

--Kawthar

>>> JEAN-CHARLES.JABOUILLE@BULL.NET 31/03/2004 03:11:07 PM >>>
Hi, you can try this. Add this line:

log4j.logger.ECPA=debug, LOGFILE

Kawthar Bt M Sulaiman wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just started to use Log4j today and I'm still confused after
reading
> some document on apache website.
> This is what I've done, so pls let me know what else I have missed:
>
> I'm using Tomcat 4.1.30 with Windows 2000.
>
> 1.  Move the log4j.properties file to
> %CATALINA_HOME%\webapps\ROOT\WEB-INF\classes\
>      The file contains:
>      log4j.rootCategory=INFO, LOGFILE
>
>     log4j.appender.LOGFILE = org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
>     log4j.appender.LOGFILE = c:\temp\ECPA.log
>
> 2.  In my code, I replaced all my System.out with logger:
>      Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("ECPA");
>      logger.info("<messge>").
>
> 3.  Result, all the messages goes to my command prompt window where
> started my Tomcat and not to a file.
>      I searched for the ECPA.log file but it was not created.
>
> What is the right way to use Log4j?
>
> Thanks,
> --Kawthar
>
> Confidential information may be contained in this e-mail and any
files transmitted with it ('Message'). If you are not the addressee
indicated in this Message (or responsible for delivery of this Message
to such person), you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, printing or copying of this Message or any part thereof is
strictly prohibited. In such a case, you should delete this Message
immediately and advise the sender by return e-mail. Opinions,
conclusions and other information in this Message that do not relate to
the official business of Maxis shall be understood as neither given nor
endorsed by Maxis.

Another Newbie Question

Posted by Jeff Longland <jl...@uwo.ca>.
Hi all,

log4j is currently running on a few servers here, and I'd
like to get my logs more organized.  As it stands, I'm using
FileAppenders that roll at 5mb with a backup of 20 files - a
tad messy at times.  I'm going to switch to a daily roll,
but I'd also like to try using SocketAppenders.  I have a
few questions:

- Can I use a SocketAppender to send logging data to a
syslog daemon on a remote host?

- How do I use Chainsaw with a SocketAppender?  Do I simply
setup a receiver within Chainsaw?

- When using a daily file roll, is the file overwritten
every night - or is it timestamped and a new file is
created?  Or will I have to script this myself?

Thanks,
Jeff

log4j-user@logging.apache.org
> Subject: Re: Newbie: Log4j print to console, not to a