Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com> on 2019/06/13 04:17:20 UTC

Exposing JIRA issue types at GitHub PRs

Hi, All.

Since we use both Apache JIRA and GitHub actively for Apache Spark
contributions, we have lots of JIRAs and PRs consequently. One specific
thing I've been longing to see is `Jira Issue Type` in GitHub.

How about exposing JIRA issue types at GitHub PRs as GitHub `Labels`? There
are two main benefits:
1. It helps the communication between the contributors and reviewers with
more information.
    (In some cases, some people only visit GitHub to see the PR and commits)
2. `Labels` is searchable. We don't need to visit Apache Jira to search PRs
to see a specific type.
    (For example, the reviewers can see and review 'BUG' PRs first by using
`is:open is:pr label:BUG`.)

Of course, this can be done automatically without human intervention. Since
we already have GitHub Jenkins job to access JIRA/GitHub, that job can add
the labels from the beginning. If needed, I can volunteer to update the
script.

To show the demo, I labeled several PRs manually. You can see the result
right now in Apache Spark PR page.

  - https://github.com/apache/spark/pulls

If you're surprised due to those manual activities, I want to apologize for
that. I hope we can take advantage of the existing GitHub features to serve
Apache Spark community in a way better than yesterday.

How do you think about this specific suggestion?

Bests,
Dongjoon

PS. I saw that `Request Review` and `Assign` features are already used for
some purposes, but these feature are out of the scope in this email.

Re: Exposing JIRA issue types at GitHub PRs

Posted by Hyukjin Kwon <gu...@gmail.com>.
Yea, I think we can automate this process via, for instance,
https://github.com/apache/spark/blob/master/dev/github_jira_sync.py

+1 for such sort of automatic categorizing and matching metadata between
JIRA and github

Adding Josh and Sean as well.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi, All.

During migrating my account to Apache bot, I noticed that ASF policy
doesn't allow a bot to have write access to the repository.
JIRA bot can be a contributor to Spark project and have some privileges
like changing the issue status.
But, GitHub is a combination of JIRA + Git repo, and LABEL operation needs
`WRITE` permissions to the repository although it's not a source code.

- https://developer.github.com/v3/apps/permissions/

There were other INFRA JIRA issues about requesting label operations and
those are closed due to the same policy.
The policy is reasonable and also Spark community doesn't allow the bot has
committer's API key for security reason.

Sorry for missing this policy from the beginning. I'll post again after
rethinking about this migration for a while.

Bests,
Dongjoon.

Posted by Dongjoon Hyun <do...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gabor Somogyi <gs...@cloudera.com.INVALID>.