Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ramsri <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2011/10/20 21:16:30 UTC

Re: Error starting Tomcat

Konstantin:

I am very glad that I found this thread. For a week I have been struggling
with this problem.

I have Tomcat7 running. My application which was running just fine under
Tomcat5 does not run under Tomcat7. I have created setupclasspath.sh with
all the necessary JARs. My Tomcat starts fine and I see the opening page.
Even my Axis comes up ok but not my application.

I start Tomcat with ./startup.sh and I do not use Eclipse. The message that
I get is

***********
Oct 20, 2011 3:04:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
addChildInternal
SEVERE: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
[StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/mywebapp]]
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:152)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:812)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:787)
        at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:607)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1055)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:978)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1329)
        at
org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:311)
        at
org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)

***********

I tried reading this thread but I cannot understand what exactly I should do
in my setup. I see only one

/opt/tomcat7/lib/servlet-api.jar and this file is inside my CLASSPATH.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Error starting Tomcat

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 20/10/2011 20:16, ramsri wrote:

> Konstantin:
>
> I am very glad that I found this thread. For a week I have been struggling
> with this problem.

If this is a new problem, please start a new thread.

> I have Tomcat7 running. My application which was running just fine under
> Tomcat5 does not run under Tomcat7. I have created setupclasspath.sh with
> all the necessary JARs.

That's not likely to help matters, don't do that.

> My Tomcat starts fine and I see the opening page.
> Even my Axis comes up ok but not my application.
>
> I start Tomcat with ./startup.sh and I do not use Eclipse. The message that
> I get is
>
> ***********
> Oct 20, 2011 3:04:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
> addChildInternal
> SEVERE: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
> org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component
> [StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/mywebapp]]
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:152)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:812)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:787)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:607)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectory(HostConfig.java:1055)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployDirectories(HostConfig.java:978)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployApps(HostConfig.java:472)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.start(HostConfig.java:1329)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:311)
>         at
> org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:119)
>
> ***********
>
> I tried reading this thread but I cannot understand what exactly I should do
> in my setup. I see only one
>
> /opt/tomcat7/lib/servlet-api.jar and this file is inside my CLASSPATH.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Please start a new thread.

RE: Error starting Tomcat

Posted by Ch...@emc.com.

> I have Tomcat7 running. My application which was running just fine under
> Tomcat5 does not run under Tomcat7. I have created setupclasspath.sh with
> all the necessary JARs. My Tomcat starts fine and I see the opening page.
> Even my Axis comes up ok but not my application.
>
> I start Tomcat with ./startup.sh and I do not use Eclipse. The message that I
> get is

> Oct 20, 2011 3:04:03 PM org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase
> addChildInternal
> SEVERE: ContainerBase.addChild: start:
> org.apache.catalina.LifecycleException: Failed to start component

Sounds like there may have been some configuration changes to the various xml files that pertain to your app, between versions 5 and 7 I mean.  Did you change any of the server.xml, and friends, when migrating?