Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/05/05 09:36:56 UTC

Is this a use case for learning flow?

I would like to be able to apply Cocoon flow (and, ideally, forms)
to an existing "use case".

I have a reporting tool that allows a user to make a series of
choices about what info to print from a database.  Each page
in the series  is dependant on previous choices made.  Choices
are made from forms with relatively simple options (check boxes,
drop down lists) .  At the moment info is passed to and from a
number of "disconnected" XSP pages, using a "home grown" version
of a generic forms builder.

Does this sound like a suitable candidate? (Obviuosly the new approach
should generate the same results as the old, albeit in a different
way!)

Thanks
Derek

PS Anyone got any suggestions on how to implement a "jump back to
point X" option that can allow a user to simply go back to any step in
the
sequence of choices without using a back button...

believed to be clean.

Re: Is this a use case for learning flow?

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Le 5 mai 04, à 09:36, Derek Hohls a écrit :

> I would like to be able to apply Cocoon flow (and, ideally, forms)
> to an existing "use case".
>
> I have a reporting tool that allows a user to make a series of
> choices about what info to print from a database.  Each page
> in the series  is dependant on previous choices made.

Sounds like Flow, certainly.

> Choices
> are made from forms with relatively simple options (check boxes,
> drop down lists) ....

Sounds like Forms: several pages collaborate to edit a single Form
model, which Flow can later use for processing.

> At the moment info is passed to and from a
> number of "disconnected" XSP pages, using a "home grown" version
> of a generic forms builder...

I'm sure you will enjoy Cocoon Forms ;-)

> ...PS Anyone got any suggestions on how to implement a "jump back to
> point X" option that can allow a user to simply go back to any step in
> the
> sequence of choices without using a back button...

Continuations allow you to do exactly this, by including in your page a
link to a previously saved continuation.

-Bertrand