Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Nathan Christiansen <Na...@tni.com> on 2003/10/10 19:17:04 UTC

Tomcat 4/5 Clustering.

Filip,

Thanks for the link to your site on Tomcat clusters.

Are there any preliminary results about cluster size vs. replication traffic and limitations?

If I remember right, the limit for load balancing clusters using an older method was about 6 servers in your cluster before the session object replication became the bottleneck.

It was this reason alone that I stopped using the session object to store session info. I store my persistent objects to a MySQL database, using a session cookie as the key to the database row.

Are there plans to support Session Object storage in a database (like my method of storing persistent objects)?

This would allow massive scalability in the cluster, since the 'dirty' session object only needs to be sent to one place instead of to all the Tomcat servers in the cluster.

I realize that this introduces a problem in that every single server in the cluster needs to be running the same version of Tomcat in order to have session objects serialize and deserialize properly. Or that you will need to use another storage format other than simple serialization and deserialization.

-- Nathan Christiansen
   Tahitian Noni International
   http://www.tahitiannoni.com

Posted by Filip Hanik <de...@hanik.com>.
>Are there any preliminary results about cluster size vs. replication
traffic and limitations?

if you have a GIGA network, you can go pretty wild!

>If I remember right, the limit for load balancing clusters using an older
method was about
>6 servers in your cluster before the session object replication became the
bottleneck.

all I said was that I have seen it work on 6 servers, however, with any
cluster, using all-to-all replication, I recommend keeping the clusters
smaller. :)

>Are there plans to support Session Object storage in a database
>(like my method of storing persistent objects)?

It has been done for years, PersistentManager does that already. It is a
pretty slow way of replication

>Or that you will need to use another storage format other than simple
serialization and deserialization.

Run the same version, run different and it may/may not work