Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Markus Rathgeb <ma...@gmail.com> on 2020/01/07 20:57:55 UTC

Re: org.osgi.service.log.Logger

Hi JB,

have you had any luck on adding support for the most recent Pax Logging
code base to org.apache.karaf.log.core?

Do you already know if you find enough time to add Log Service
Specification 1.4 support to Karaf 4.2.8?

Best regards,
Markus

Posted by Markus Rathgeb <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Just to be clear: org.osgi.service.log is provided by Pax Logging (not
> Karaf directly).
> The version is set by Pax Logging.

That's absolutely clear.
As written before, I updated the Pax Logging of an Karaf instance already
to 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT and bundles requiring org.osgi.service.log 1.4 seems to
work.
What is not working is e.g. the "log" commands of Karaf and I am pretty
sure they are provided by "org.apache.karaf.log.core" and not by Pax
Logging.
So, I had been able to get Pax Logging 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT in the container and
the wiring of 3rd party bundles but the Karaf integration is missing.
But we don't need to care about, it has just been a test.

So, my proposal is:

> 1. I do Pax Logging 2.0.0 release

great ;)

> 2. I upgrade Pax Logging on karaf master to cut 4.3.0.RC1 (R7 compliant)

great ;)

3. Once Karaf 4.2.8 is released (it will happen this week),

great ;)

I will
> update on 4.2.9-SNAPSHOT to evaluate support of Pax Logging 2.0.0 (and
> update command and so). If good, I will prepare 4.2.9 with that.

great ;)

Does it sound good to you ?

All fine, thank you.

Best regards,
Markus

Re: org.osgi.service.log.Logger

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Just to be clear: org.osgi.service.log is provided by Pax Logging (not
Karaf directly).
The version is set by Pax Logging.

org.osgi.service.log 1.4 is part of R7, so it requires Pax Logging 2.0.0.
Karaf 4.2.x is R6, so it needs some changes to support pax-logging 2.0.0
but do-able (not a big effort, pretty easy).

So, my proposal is:

1. I do Pax Logging 2.0.0 release
2. I upgrade Pax Logging on karaf master to cut 4.3.0.RC1 (R7 compliant)
3. Once Karaf 4.2.8 is released (it will happen this week), I will

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: org.osgi.service.log.Logger

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

it's more Pax Logging related.

Currently, Karaf uses pax-logging 1.11, which is R6 compliant, so
org.osgi.service.log 1.3.

Pax Logging 2.0 (not yet relesed, I will release it soon) is R7
compliant, so org.osgi.service.log 1.4.
Karaf 4.3.0.RC1 will use Pax Logging 2.0.

Karaf 4.2.x should stay in R6, but it could work to upgrade to Pax
Logging 2.0.0 (it's not super clean, but working).

Anyway, in your case, I will definitely prefer to upgrade to 4.3.0.RC1
that will be R7 compliant.

Regards
JB

--