Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/26 10:09:29 UTC

[MARKETING] Updating our OFBiz Website

Hi All

I'd like to start a discussion about changing and updating our main project
website. We have had our current side for quite a while now and I think that
it would be good to update it.

Here are some of my initial thoughts

1. Our logo takes up less space now and we have a lot of space at the top so
perhaps we could look at moving the navigation bar into this area
2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a drop down
navigation bar to give us more space
3. The site itself contains a lot of words which I think makes it hard for
visitors to see what is important
4. If we want to focus on potential visitor types (e.g. developers and
business users) then we need to adapt the website and highlight what would
interest them and encourage them into trying OFBiz
5. At the moment he biggest thing we highlight is downloading OFBiz (yet why
would someone download if they are not sure that it meets their needs).
6. On my version of linux (14.04 LTS) the webpage doesn't fill the screen
(I'm not sure if that is just me!)
7. We have links to two versions of OFBiz demos (do we really need 2?)
without any instructions for users as to what they need to do. If for some
reason they are logged out they have no instructions how to log in again.
8. The 'News' section is very static and gets out of date quickly. We have
resurrected our blog so perhaps it would be better to replace this with a
blog feed instead.

What do people think? I'm happy to hear any other ideas that people may
have.

If feedback is positive then I'd like to start work on a new draft website
that could be presented to back the community. Only if accepted will we do
the changeover.

Also I'm not a graphical person or a website designer so would be looking
for some volunteers to help me put this together.

Thanks
Sharan

Re: [MARKETING] Updating our OFBiz Website

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Le 26/05/2015 16:42, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> Inline, I answer only when I have something to say (else rather OK)
>
> Le 26/05/2015 11:05, Michael Brohl a écrit :
>> 2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a
>> drop down
>>> navigation bar to give us more space
>> Mmhh, not sure if this should be done because if you put the links
>> into a dropdown element they are out of sight, you have to open the
>> dropdown to see what's in it. Do we need more space?
>
> I agree about not using dropdowns for links
>
>> 5. At the moment he biggest thing we highlight is downloading OFBiz
>> (yet why
>>> would someone download if they are not sure that it meets their needs).
>>> 6. On my version of linux (14.04 LTS) the webpage doesn't fill the
>>> screen
>>> (I'm not sure if that is just me!)
>> We should definetely make the new website responsive, that means it
>> should look good and have a good usability on all devices (monitors,
>> smartphones etc.)
>
> +1 on responsive website!
>
>>> 7. We have links to two versions of OFBiz demos (do we really need 2?)
>>> without any instructions for users as to what they need to do. If
>>> for some
>>> reason they are logged out they have no instructions how to log in
>>> again.
>> We could add some funtionality in "demo mode": specify the demo user
>> login directly on the login screen and provide a link to a "demo
>> page" on the website where the demo is explained.
>
> They are integrated as URL parameters, it's even easier for users. I
> don't think they need to know the demo credential. Explanation about
> the demo would be good indeed.
>
>>> 8. The 'News' section is very static and gets out of date quickly.
>>> We have
>>> resurrected our blog so perhaps it would be better to replace this
>>> with a
>>> blog feed instead.
>> +1 That's enough news together with the twitter feed.
>
> Agreed
>

>>> What do people think? I'm happy to hear any other ideas that people may
>>> have.
>>>
>>> If feedback is positive then I'd like to start work on a new draft
>>> website
>>> that could be presented to back the community. Only if accepted will
>>> we do
>>> the changeover.
>> Overall, a +1 from me.
>>>
>>> Also I'm not a graphical person or a website designer so would be
>>> looking
>>> for some volunteers to help me put this together.
>> Let's do the conceptual work first, I think we can provide some help
>> on this when we have the requirements clear.
>
> If Julien is also working on it you will need to sync and... ask for
> feedback regularly...
Yes, for now it's just to see actual website, not to commit :)
But as soon as we can work on the new one, we need to define how to work
together.

Julien.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Inline, I answer only when I have something to say (else rather OK)

Le 26/05/2015 11:05, Michael Brohl a écrit :
> 2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a drop down
>> navigation bar to give us more space
> Mmhh, not sure if this should be done because if you put the links into a dropdown element they are out of sight, you have to open the dropdown to
> see what's in it. Do we need more space?

I agree about not using dropdowns for links

> 5. At the moment he biggest thing we highlight is downloading OFBiz (yet why
>> would someone download if they are not sure that it meets their needs).
>> 6. On my version of linux (14.04 LTS) the webpage doesn't fill the screen
>> (I'm not sure if that is just me!)
> We should definetely make the new website responsive, that means it should look good and have a good usability on all devices (monitors, smartphones
> etc.)

+1 on responsive website!

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Sharan,

thanks for driving this forward! See my comments inline.

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 26.05.15 um 10:09 schrieb Sharan-F:
> Hi All
>
> I'd like to start a discussion about changing and updating our main project
> website. We have had our current side for quite a while now and I think that
> it would be good to update it.
>
> Here are some of my initial thoughts
>
> 1. Our logo takes up less space now and we have a lot of space at the top so
> perhaps we could look at moving the navigation bar into this area

+1
> 2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a drop down
> navigation bar to give us more space
Mmhh, not sure if this should be done because if you put the links into
a dropdown element they are out of sight, you have to open the dropdown
to see what's in it. Do we need more space?
> 3. The site itself contains a lot of words which I think makes it hard for
> visitors to see what is important
I think the problem is not the number of words, which are not bad for
SEO, but the structure of the texts. We could restructure them to have
some kind of landing page for different subjects and related sub pages
with more detailed texts on the subject.
> 4. If we want to focus on potential visitor types (e.g. developers and
> business users) then we need to adapt the website and highlight what would
> interest them and encourage them into trying OFBiz
Yes, a first step could be to identify user groups, their use of OFBiz
and maybe some different uses cases.
> 5. At the moment he biggest thing we highlight is downloading OFBiz (yet why
> would someone download if they are not sure that it meets their needs).
> 6. On my version of linux (14.04 LTS) the webpage doesn't fill the screen
> (I'm not sure if that is just me!)
We should definetely make the new website responsive, that means it
should look good and have a good usability on all devices (monitors,
smartphones etc.)
> 7. We have links to two versions of OFBiz demos (do we really need 2?)
> without any instructions for users as to what they need to do. If for some
> reason they are logged out they have no instructions how to log in again.
We could add some funtionality in "demo mode": specify the demo user
login directly on the login screen and provide a link to a "demo page"
on the website where the demo is explained.
> 8. The 'News' section is very static and gets out of date quickly. We have
> resurrected our blog so perhaps it would be better to replace this with a
> blog feed instead.
+1 That's enough news together with the twitter feed.

> What do people think? I'm happy to hear any other ideas that people may
> have.
>
> If feedback is positive then I'd like to start work on a new draft website
> that could be presented to back the community. Only if accepted will we do
> the changeover.
Overall, a +1 from me.

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

Thanks for the feedback.

Next Steps

-  I will create a wiki page to capture the requirements we have so far.
(please feel free to add any comments to page once created)
-  We will then see if we have enough information to begin looking at the
approach and outline planning around how it could be done.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Great idea!

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your feedback Nick.

And I can see that it's not only Netsuite – look at the websites of other
open source ERPs like

https://www.odoo.com/
http://www.openbravo.com/

I can see that we have a great opportunity to improve our website so let's
do it.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
> What should be the balance between  open source traditions vs promoting individual SI companies through listing their customers and resources or linking to their web sites?

Indeed, here lies a big issue. It's an open-source project with pure goals -- with a solution set that is "bet your business" -- with a mandate to not overly support any specific corporate entity -- but having to give some confidence to any viewer that there are significant resources available so they can execute on the most important decisions they will make (at least for full-blown ERP).

Take a look at netsuite.com. Notice how they organize their main navbar:

     Products (for us, could be features / solutions or similar)
     Customers
     Solutions (note the "By Role", exactly to Adrian's point there is CEO  / CFO / CIO)
     Platform
     Services (for OFBiz, this could be "Resources")
     Partners (SI's?)
     Company (History, Intro Committers and other key contributors?)

Nick

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Good points.

Posted by Nick Rosser <nr...@solveda.com>.
Agree with all.

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Michael

I created this page to summarise the requirements captured so far.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/New+OFBiz+Website+Requirements

At the bottom I started to list the potential visitors we might have and
what they could be looking for. We could easily add the CFO / CIO etc
requirements to this to see what is common across those type of users.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
That sounds like a good idea Adrian!

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Michael Brohl <mi...@ecomify.de>.
Hi Sharan,

I would like to help you on this task.

I'll put some ideas together in the next couple of days and post it
here, or do you have other plans to organize this?

Regards,

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sharan and everyone,

Okay so based on your feedback and everyone's input, I have the following ideas in mind:

main features
=============
- First, we introduce bootstrap to make it a responsive website and re-align everything with the grid system
- We introduce a modern design, this includes at a minimum a unified header, footer and main menu (and possibly a secondary menu) unified across the entire site
- A more powerful and flashy slider on the main page to showcase the framework. I prefer the mega sliders that fill up almost the entire page
- Big buttons and icons
- Much less text, much more pictures and animation
- We need artwork, some of which can be purchased for marginal costs (photos, graphics, etc ...)

Now to give a lot of space for your "marketing" pitch in the main page, a lot of things need to either be deleted or moved to other locations, so the website structure is of crucial importance. For example, we can redesign the main menu to look something like this:

main menu structure
===================
- Main
- Getting Started
  - Download (which version to download and dependencies)
  - Install (how to step by step for installation)
  - My First Component (A hello world component with a single screen)
- Documentation
  - User Documentation
  - Technical Documentation
  - Wiki
  - API Reference
- Community
  - Getting Involved
  - Meetups and Events
  - Mailing Lists
  - Source Repository
  - Issue Tracker
- About
  - Features (put screenshots here)
  - Members
  - License
  - Who uses OFBiz

Footer Features
===============
- social media links
- secondary links less often used
- possible replication of the main menu

That's what I have for now, I hope it's useful

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sharan,

A few questions to see if I can help:

- What is the purpose of the re-design?
- Can we use any frameworks or APIs beyond what's used right now (bootstrap, etc ...)
- Can we use trademarked artwork (stock photos and so on)
- Can we unify the whole website or is it just the main page? I ask because usually when we design a website we have unified regions, blocks, shared resources and so on

I think answering those questions might be a first step in brainstorming and would also show how much we can contribute in our areas of expertise.

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi All

I've put together a summary of some initial requirements on the wiki here

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/New+OFBiz+Website+Requirements
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/New+OFBiz+Website+Requirements>

Do we have enough information to start putiting together an outline plan of
what needs to be done?  If not then please feel free to highlight what
additional items are missing or needed.

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Thank you everyone for your responses, support and ideas so far.

I've done some follow up based on Jacopo's query about ASF guidelines for
project websites and whatever we do needs to conform to the following.

http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/pmcs.html#navigation

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 26/05/2015 10:43, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
>> >2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a drop down
>> >navigation bar to give us more space
> Or moved to a secondary page; but please consider that the links under "Apache Software Foundation" are requested by the ASF; or at least were requested and before moving them in a less prominent position we should check with the ASF.

I read again about that recently, it's still requested, could be on another page than main but would need to be a prominent one, I suggest to keep
them there as is

Jacques

Re: [MARKETING] Updating our OFBiz Website

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Sharan,

+1 on all points, with the following additional comments:

On May 26, 2015, at 10:09 AM, Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I'd like to start a discussion about changing and updating our main project
> website. We have had our current side for quite a while now and I think that
> it would be good to update it.
>
> Here are some of my initial thoughts
>
> 1. Our logo takes up less space now and we have a lot of space at the top so
> perhaps we could look at moving the navigation bar into this area

+1
We could also improve the quality/resolution of the current logo.

> 2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a drop down
> navigation bar to give us more space

Or moved to a secondary page; but please consider that the links under "Apache Software Foundation" are requested by the ASF; or at least were requested and before moving them in a less prominent position we should check with the ASF.

> 3. The site itself contains a lot of words which I think makes it hard for
> visitors to see what is important
> 4. If we want to focus on potential visitor types (e.g. developers and
> business users) then we need to adapt the website and highlight what would
> interest them and encourage them into trying OFBiz
> 5. At the moment he biggest thing we highlight is downloading OFBiz (yet why
> would someone download if they are not sure that it meets their needs).
> 6. On my version of linux (14.04 LTS) the webpage doesn't fill the screen
> (I'm not sure if that is just me!)
> 7. We have links to two versions of OFBiz demos (do we really need 2?)
> without any instructions for users as to what they need to do. If for some
> reason they are logged out they have no instructions how to log in again.

We can keep the links to one and then move the others to a less prominent place/page.

> 8. The 'News' section is very static and gets out of date quickly. We have
> resurrected our blog so perhaps it would be better to replace this with a
> blog feed instead.

+1

Jacopo

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Le 26/05/2015 11:01, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :
> On May 26, 2015, at 10:51 AM, Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr> wrote:
>
>> I can help you for that. I'm not web designer but I'll do my best to help you :)
>> In this way, it could be interesting to know what is the CMS used ?
>> Is it OFBiz ?
> Julien, are you asking how/where the source files for the website are stored?
> They are just static html pages and you can check them out from here:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/site
>
> (you can use https with your committer's account).
>
> You will find more information here: http://ofbiz.apache.org/source-repositories.html
>
> I hope it helps,
Perfect !

Thank you Jacopo :)

Julien

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxsystems.com>.

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Le 26/05/2015 10:09, Sharan-F a écrit :
> Hi All
>
> I'd like to start a discussion about changing and updating our main project
> website. We have had our current side for quite a while now and I think that
> it would be good to update it.
>
> Here are some of my initial thoughts
>
> 1. Our logo takes up less space now and we have a lot of space at the top so
> perhaps we could look at moving the navigation bar into this area
+1
> 2. A lot of the links on the right hand side could be moved into a drop down
> navigation bar to give us more space
+1
> 3. The site itself contains a lot of words which I think makes it hard for
> visitors to see what is important
We can keep all that words but highlight some of them.
> 4. If we want to focus on potential visitor types (e.g. developers and
> business users) then we need to adapt the website and highlight what would
> interest them and encourage them into trying OFBiz
If we use One page design for the main page, we can create section that
can be used to highlight each flavour of OFBiz (framework, ERP, e-Commerce).
Then we may redirect to a specific page that can contain details.

> 5. At the moment he biggest thing we highlight is downloading OFBiz (yet why
> would someone download if they are not sure that it meets their needs).
+1 (but it MUST be easy to find the download link)
> 6. On my version of linux (14.04 LTS) the webpage doesn't fill the screen
> (I'm not sure if that is just me!)
It's normal. You can choose to fill the screen but in this way it's more
difficult to be sure that the design works with all screen resolutions...
Except in some specific case but it's better to keep this :)
If you have some counter-examples to show want you imagine, just share it :)
> 7. We have links to two versions of OFBiz demos (do we really need 2?)
> without any instructions for users as to what they need to do. If for some
> reason they are logged out they have no instructions how to log in again.
+1. It could be enough to have the last stable version in demo (and
easiest for maintenance)
> 8. The 'News' section is very static and gets out of date quickly. We have
> resurrected our blog so perhaps it would be better to replace this with a
> blog feed instead.
+1

Posted by Julien NICOLAS <ju...@nomaka.fr>.
Hello Sharan,

Sorry but it's very hard for me to find time... I would like to help but
for now it's just impossible.
I'll help as soon as I'll be available.

Have a nice day,

Julien.

Posted by FGomez <fg...@mail.com>.
Sharan,

I can participate too. Let me know when you are planning to start the
discussion.

Regards,
Fernando

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Look forward ...

Posted by Sharan-F <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Julien / Taher

Thanks for the responses.

My goal at this stage was just to prepare something like a simple
presentation graphic that could outline each of the potential ideas, that
way it could be shown to the community for feedback and discussion.

I think the idea of a group call could be really useful to get things
started so let's try that. The earliest it could be done is probably
sometime next week.

*So anyone *wanting to be involved in a group call to discuss the website,
please respond to this message.

Once we have the list of people I will try to get a time and date arranged
for a call.

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sharan,

I'd like to help. I think it would be hard to collaborate by email though. Perhaps we should conference on Skype or similar service to try and reach consensus before continuing the work by writing.

Taher Alkhateeb

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Le 26/05/2015 21:11, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
> We should take more care of Openhub
> http://www.networkworld.com/article/2926175/opensource-subnet/open-hub-how-to-find-the-best-open-source-projects.html
> Try https://www.openhub.net/p?query=ERP&sort=users and other things (like other sortings and compare).
>
> We should get rid of Dockook also, people might think we use XSL instead of Groovy because of it https://www.openhub.net/p/Apache-OFBiz

This is not a good reason, moreover now that I have cleaned the way OpenHub sees OFBiz repo, with more reality by excluding most externals misleading
things from its parser

Jacques

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
We should take more care of Openhub http://www.networkworld.com/article/2926175/opensource-subnet/open-hub-how-to-find-the-best-open-source-projects.html