Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> on 2011/09/07 18:27:18 UTC

Ancient JIRA issues....

I was kind of poking around to see how some other projects handle feature
requests  for things likely not to ever be implemented as we're a similar
situations.  We have a bunch of JIRA's logged years ago for new features, but
no one has stepped up to implement them.

A couple projects have a pseudo time limit.  If no-one steps up to claim it or
submit a patch within a certain period (like maybe a year), they close is as
"Won't Fix" with a comment along the lines of "If someone would like to step
up and implement this, re-open and attach a patch."

What are peoples thoughts on this?    I'd really like to get some of the
clutter out of JIRA.    I would also suggest either a 6 month or 1 year limit
on feature request JIRAs.

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Ancient JIRA issues....

Posted by Eric Johnson <em...@fusesource.com>.
+1 to clearing out some of the cruft.

--
Principle Technical Writer
FuseSource

Re: Ancient JIRA issues....

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
There doesn't seem to be any objection and those that have responded are
overwhelmingly supportive to this so I'm going to go ahead and start closing
JIRA's.   I appologize for the  JIRA spam this is going to cause.  :-)

Dan

Re: Ancient JIRA issues....

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.
Definately a good thing. It helps to concentrate on the active issues.

Christian

Am 07.09.2011 18:27, schrieb Daniel Kulp:
> I was kind of poking around to see how some other projects handle feature
> requests  for things likely not to ever be implemented as we're a similar
> situations.  We have a bunch of JIRA's logged years ago for new features, but
> no one has stepped up to implement them.
>
> A couple projects have a pseudo time limit.  If no-one steps up to claim it or
> submit a patch within a certain period (like maybe a year), they close is as
> "Won't Fix" with a comment along the lines of "If someone would like to step
> up and implement this, re-open and attach a patch."
>
> What are peoples thoughts on this?    I'd really like to get some of the
> clutter out of JIRA.    I would also suggest either a 6 month or 1 year limit
> on feature request JIRAs.

Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Ancient JIRA issues....

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 2011-9-8, at 上午12:27, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> I was kind of poking around to see how some other projects handle
> feature
> requests  for things likely not to ever be implemented as we're a
> similar
> situations.  We have a bunch of JIRA's logged years ago for new
> features, but
> no one has stepped up to implement them.
>
> A couple projects have a pseudo time limit.  If no-one steps up to
> claim it or
> submit a patch within a certain period (like maybe a year), they
> close is as
> "Won't Fix" with a comment along the lines of "If someone would like
> to step
> up and implement this, re-open and attach a patch."
+1

Freeman

> What are peoples thoughts on this?    I'd really like to get some of
> the
> clutter out of JIRA.    I would also suggest either a 6 month or 1
> year limit
> on feature request JIRAs.
>

> --
> Daniel Kulp
> dkulp@apache.org
> http://dankulp.com/blog
> Talend - http://www.talend.com

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com

Re: Ancient JIRA issues....

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org> wrote:

> I was kind of poking around to see how some other projects handle feature
> requests  for things likely not to ever be implemented as we're a similar
> situations.  We have a bunch of JIRA's logged years ago for new features, but
> no one has stepped up to implement them.
>
> A couple projects have a pseudo time limit.  If no-one steps up to claim it or
> submit a patch within a certain period (like maybe a year), they close is as
> "Won't Fix" with a comment along the lines of "If someone would like to step
> up and implement this, re-open and attach a patch."

I am enthusiastically in favor of this.